Fourty-three

The dress fits a little snug as expected and I discovered a little slit in the side. It molds my body perfectly. The heels and choker are a perfect acomplice. My hair is tied up in a messy bun with a few stands sticking out and I had to do some touched on my makeup. Despite how good I look in this dress I'm not looking forward to dinner with Mason. I don't want to sit there and look at him, both of us putting on a show and pretending to be happy.

   I know I have to be on my best behavior or he's going to take his anger out on me again. I need to be perfect from here on out. I learned my lesson.

   The car picks me up at exactly eight and drops me off at this super fancy, super expensive restaurant. Mason's friend throws the keys to a vale and ushers me inside. He gives the person in the front Mason's last name. I watch curiously as she flips through a stack of papers. She finds Mason's name and sends someone to direct me to my seat. Mason's friend turns around and leaves. I guess that's as far as he goes. I wonder how well he really knows Mason. Maybe they met at some drug dealer meeting. I don't know. Maybe that's an actual thing.

   "How are you doing today ma'am?" The waitress ask.

   I giggle. It sounds so foreign hearing someone who looks about my age or older to address me as ma'am. I'm not old and crumbly. "I'm good." I answer timidly.

   "You look rather astonishing in that dress. Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? Oh who am I kidding, I probably couldn't afford it anyway."

   "Well my boyfriend bought this. Maybe you should try Fashionova. It's a website. They sell really nice stuff at affordable prices." I inform her. I've ordered from them a handful of times before. I'm not joking when I say they have nice stuff at affordable prices. The way those pieces look you'd think they were crazy expensive. Being with Mason hasn't shaken up my eye for cheap things. When you spend your whole life looking for cheap stuff it just sticks on you.

   "Thanks. Have a wonderful evening." She says Before walking off when we get to the table. I wave her off and immediately sit down, not even giving Mason a chance to stand up and properly greet me. He settles back in his comfortable position across from me. The booth is nice and roomy. I don't know why we need all this space since its just the two of us but there's no way I'm complaining. I want to distance myself as much as possible throughout the night.

   "Wow. That dress looks amazing on you. Red suits you well." He compliments, gazing at my cleavage. I don't have the biggest boobs but in this dress I must admit they do sit nice. Although I still wish he would have gone with something a little-by little I mean a lot-more covered up.

   "So what's the occasion?"

   "What? I can't just take my girl out 'cause I feel like pampering her?"

   Don't barf. Don't scoff. Don't roll your eyes. Act normal. "Oh."

   "Well that's part of the reason. I got some friends joining us later in the evening. Business stuff."

   "Which business?" Oh crap! "Sorry," I mumble quickly, holding my head down. The same waitress from earlier comes over and ask what we'll be having to drink. I opt for some lemonade though I was really tempted to go for some wine or something stronger but that'll just give my age away since I don't have an I.D. I don't think Mason wants anyone to know he's with a younger girl being that he could go to jail for a while. Who knows how old he is. Probably not as old as he says.

   Mason goes for some wine that's sure to stain his perfectly white teeth. The waitress tells us she'll be back shortly with our drinks. I pick up the menu and scan it. There's a bunch of stuff on here I have never heard of. I don't want to go for anything too messy but I don't want a plain salad either. That would be pointless. Show up to a nice restaurant and only eat a cheesy, expensive salad you could have made at home. Nope. I'm not that kind of girl.

   "If you don't know what you want I'll order."

   "No. I'll get the creamy chicken and rice and..."

   "And?" He chuckles with a smirk.

   I shrug, "or not."

   "No get whatever you want. I'm buying." Not that there's any alternatives. He knows I don't have a job, he did make me quit. That's obviously him refusing to pass up the opportunity to remind me of how dependent on him I really am.

   "I was just going to say a side of macaroni and cheese fried shrimp. With dipping sauce."

   "That's a weird combination."

   I shrug. When the waitress comes back we give her our orders. An awkard silence is bestowed upon us, making me figit in my seat a little. I wish his friends would hurry up and get here so I don't have to sit here and listen to him every so often try to make conversation with me. I don't want to talk to him. Not right now. I'm still trying to forgive him and move past this because it's not going to do me any good not to. Plus I'm no saint I'm this relationship either. I've done stuff I'm not proud of. The truth of the matter is we're toxic to each other. There's no other way to explain it. The sad part is it didn't start off that way.

   Mason really helped me a lot. He did more for me than anyone has ever done. I exhale. I'm nothing without him.

   "What's up Mr. Boss man. How you doing?" My heart stops pumping and sink to my chest when I hear his voice. Oh my gosh. Oh God help me.