Fourty-eight

After scrolling through my closet for countless hours I finally decide on a simple white V-neck and some imitation ripped jeans with my low gold Jordan 11s. It still amaze me how much clothes I have now. Its a big step up from the life I use the have. The life that I'm still a part of. Mason has done so much for me. It helps to remind myself of this, makes it easier to deal with his crap.

   Mason has done so much for me.

   I finally got my long brown twist in and I let them cascade down my back. They hurt too bad to put up in a ponytail. They feel heavy on my head too. Brandon says I just have to get use to it. He was quite surprised to see me without Jen. I always come with her. Or at least I use to. I should just talk to her, maybe ask her straight up if she knew about her brother and his ways. I'm being inconsiderate. Her mom is getting married to some sleazy guy that wants to get with her and I'm not even there for her. But I must admit, all her drama is making me glad I stayed away. I have too much on my plate and I'm not sure I can take it much longer.

   I've been running around trying to keep everyone happy for so long and it's finally taking a toll on me. There's no one here to ask me how I feel. Or to let me tell them everything without being judged.

   I slip on a pair of pearl earrings and a gold watch before grabbing my bag and walking to the door. As in walking out I hear Mason right behind me. He's dressed like he's ready to go out; white jeans, wife beater, Hawaiian shirt unbuttoned, and a pair of aqua Jordan's. "Are you going out?" Probably to see one of his whores. As it turns out he has a couple of those.

   Mason nods. "You didn't think I was gonna let you go alone did you, you know I don't trust Anthony like that?"

   "I'm meeting his family."

   "So am I."

   "What if someone recognize you? You know I'm underage," I really don't get why he's doing this. I'm suppose to be spending quality time with Anthony and his family and he's just going to impose like this.

   "I got it all under control. No need to worry. Now let's go before we have to make up some excuse about being late, like we actually care," he says in a mocking tone. As much as I would like to, I refrain from arguing him down about the situation. It wouldn't do me any good anyway. Mason would just lose his temper and there's no getting him to change his mind. He's stubborn is what he is.

   I knock on the door and moments later, Mrs.Betty, Anthony's mom, is at the door. She's a short, chubby woman with thick natural hair and a sweet smelling aroma. She greets me with open arms. Apparently Anthony has said so much about me already. I explain to her Mason is my boyfriend and that he wanted to meet everyone as well. Mrs.Betty doesn't have a problem with it. She greets him with open arms as well. She may be glad he's here but I'm not. I can't possibly see how I'm going to enjoy the night when he's here, bombarding everything. He just loves making a scene. He's arrogant. He's arrogant but he loves me. I guess you take what you can get.

   I guess he's not so bad. He does give me everything I want.

   Ugh, I'm a bit indecisive I know. "Hey," I greet Anthony when he finally comes out the room. His mom said he waited to the last minute to get dress. Typical.

   "What's he doing here?" Anthony ask in between hugs.

   "He wanted to come. Anthony I told you it was an accident. We were playing around he accidentally hit me. Please, can you play nice?" My voice sounds a little strained. I just dont want anyone to get hurt.

   He gives me a skeptical look but decide to play along. I'm grateful for it. He introduce me to his big and little sister, Tanisha and Jade and Tanisha's son, Aiden. He's so cute; four years old and shy. His dreads look freshly done and they reach his shoulders. He stays close to his mom. Jade is thirteen and she's a skinny little thing but she has a big mouth on her. The girl can talk anybody's head off. I've always admired people with her personality. Just able to make friends anywhere. She starts talking to me about...something. I got lost somewhere down the road. She can't keep to one subject.

   Anthony leans over in my ear but makes no attempts to whisper, "she got ADHD. She won't shut up for nothing. We even tried feeding her dog treats but she just ate right though those and continued her conversation."

   Jade slaps him on the arm. "No y'all did not. Ma he telling that dog story again!" Jade complains. We all burst out laughing despite our best efforts not to. Jade sucks her teeth and rolls her eyes.

   "Anthony I know you not talking. I know you not talking-" Tanisha butts in. She flips her long her behind her shoulder, daring Anthony to say something with those big hazel eyes of hers. She rest her hand on her wide hips that mach her big, round butt, having a baby must have helped with that. She's georgous and her makeup is perfect. I decided not to wear makeup today. I'm getting tired of it myself. Mason insist it highlights my beauty and I should wear it, especially when going out with his friends. He's big on lasting impressions.

   Anthony sucks his teeth, "Nobody asked you. Damn."

   Mrs.Betty comes out of nowhere and whacks him on top of his head. She waves a chubby finger in his face, "What did I tell you about that mouth? Don't try to show out 'cause company here."

   I stick my tounge out at him and point my finger in his face, mimicking him, as do his sisters. I love this family already. Mason comes up to me and snakes his arm around my waist, reminding me of his presence. He gives me a quick peck on the cheek. "Aww y'all are so cute," Tanisha compliments.

   "Thanks."

   "Everybody go sit to the table. I know y'all greedy behinds hungry. Espically you Anthony," she turns to me, "I bet he didn't tell you he eats every meal like it's his last."

   This causes me to giggle. "No, he definitely didn't tell me that."

   "That's only 'cause you got the best cooking Ma."

   "You right."

   We all migrate to the dinning and sit down. Mason sits to my left. Anthony tried to sit on my other side but Jade cuts him off and sits down. He mumbles something under his breath and sits in the only open seat at the other end of the table. Tanisha and her son sit across from me and I'm guessing Mrs.Betty always sits at the other end. No one dared sit there.

   Mrs.Betty starts setting out plates and as soon as I catch a whifs of the the shrimp fried rice my stomach does a flip. When she sits my plate in front of me I try my best to act normal but the drink from the shrimp is really getting to me. I politely ask where the bathroom is and once given directions I head straight there. I barely make it to the toilet when I start throwing up. Once I finish I sit on the edge of the tub and try to get myself together. I hear a knock on the door. It swings open and Tanisha comes rushing to my side. She helps me to the sink where I wash my face and she hands me a fresh toothbrush and toothpaste.

   "It was the shrimp wasn't it. I know when I was pregnant I couldn't stand the smell of shrimp. My mom hated it 'cause she couldn't cook any shrimp while I was around. I was always around," She laughs.

   My ear prick up at a particular word. "I'm not pregnant. We use protection. No. I'm not pregnant."

   "I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you but sometimes the condom breaks or you forget to take the pill. That's what happened to me."

   "You're wrong. I can't be pregnant. I just can't."

   "Olivia-"

   "No. I'm not pregnant."