Thirty-eight

After school I head to the library to finish some work and possibly check out a good book. I haven't read one in a while. I was happy to find the library nearly empty. I have so much school work. I'm always swamped in school work. Its the beauty of high school. Sucks but oh well. I need to get all my work done because I need to at least graduate.

   Math is the hardest subject for me. It fries my brain. I would rather not deal with it. History too. Its definitely not fun when it's an honors or AICE History and you're the only black person. I freaking hate that class. I can't stand it. There's so much stuff to learn and remember but I like I said I need to at least graduate high school so no slacking.

   I start with my English homework since its the easiest and I can go ahead and get it out the way. I rub the back of my head as I start on my essay. After deciding I don't like it I ball my paper up and decide to start over. This goes on for about another five papers. Starting off and essay is really hard. Its the hardest part. Once I get past that everything starts flowing to me. I read over the directions a couple times before finally getting a good start. Thank God. It takes me a while to finish my English homework. After I'm done I polish it up and store it safely in my binder and move on to the next.

         **********************

   By the time I finish my stressful homework I'm gifted with a big headache. I had to turn my phone completely off in the middle of studying because Mason keeps calling me. I only spoke to him once since I got back yesterday and that was via text. I know I shouldn't give him any reason to suspect something but I'm just not ready to talk to him. I shove my phone in my pocket and throw my books and papers in my bag.

   I feel a tap on my shoulder and I whip around, half expecting to see Mason. I'm more than relieved when it isn't. Instead I'm greeted by a slightly taller woman. Her complexion is perfect; a nice caramel color. Her hair falls around her face in a beautiful display of tight curls. There's a slight dent in her protuding chin and her eyes are a light brown. Standing next to her hourglass figure instantly puts my small body to shame. She's georgous and she has this apparition about her that tells me she knows that already. She offers up a small smile. I can't help but smile back. Despite how beautiful she looks, I can tell she's a much older woman by the way she carries herself. "Hi. I'm Shauna. Its nice to meet you. Olivia, right?"

   "Yeah. How'd you know that? Have we met before?"

   "Oh no. Um I really need to talk to you about something...someone. Just not here." She says in a more quiet tone. I give her an unsettling look. I don't know her. I'm not going anywhere with her.

   "Here's fine."

   "Of course." She gestures to a seat so I sit down. She follows. She looks extremely nervous, petrified even. Now I'm not so sure I want to hear what she has to say. I contemplate just getting up and running away but something compels me to stay and listen to what she has to say. "I know this is going to sound really weird but I really need you to listen to everything I have to say."

   "Okay," I respond. Dragging out the last two letters.

   "My name is Parker. I use to date Mason and before you say anything this is not a plot to break you guys up so I can move on in. Believe me I want to stay as far away from him as possible."

   "Good to know."

   "Olivia, Mason is a very dangerous man. You see this scar," she pulls up her sweatshirt, revealing an old cut flowing across the length of the side of her stomach. I gasp in horror. Though the laceration looks old I can still imagine how bad it must have hurt. "Mason gave this to me. He caught me talking to some guy after school and asumed the worst. I tried to convince myself that we were just so young and that he didn't know any better. But there were girls after me, Olivia. He's dangerous. He beats you doesn't he? Force you to have sex and pretend like it's your own fault-"

   "I don't know what you're talking about. I have to go." I get up from the table as quick as possible.

   "Here's my number. Call me if you ever need to," She offers.

   I take the slip of paper from her and quickly stuff it in one of my books as I make my way to the exit. Mumbling a, "not likely." I just need to get away from her and I could tell she wasn't going anywhere until I took her number.

   Once I get outside I turn my phone on. My notifications start coming in and phone starts going off like crazy. I wait a good minute before it finally stops. I unlock my phone to find countless text and missed calls and voicemails from Mason;

   Where are you?

   We haven't spoken in so long babe. I miss you.

   Why are you ignoring my text? Where are you? I want to see you.

   Olivia!

   You're really starting to make me angry! 😠 😠

    Are you okay?

   I'm starting to worry.

  Babe!

    He's really insistent. I decide to call him back. I wouldn't want to make him angry. I should have just called him as soon as I got back. He picks up on the first ring. His voice sounds frantic over the phone, "Olivia why haven't you called me or text me back, I thought something happened to you?"

   "I'm sorry. I got back late yesterday and I didn't want to disturb your sleep. I've been at the library since I got out of school so I had to turn my phone off-"

   "Are you still there?"

   "Yes."

   "I'm coming to get you. Stay put." I hear him shuffling around in the background, probably for his keys, before the phone clicks off.

   "Great."

   I don't want to doubt Mason's love for me but making me a bit skeptical. Sure we've been through a lot but what relastionship hasn't? Mason loves me and I did him so dirty. I don't know how I'm going to live with myself with a secret like this. I wish I could forget it.