Chapter 15

Chloe woke up the next morning feeling rested and cozy for the first time in a long time. Glancing at her watch, she jumped seeing the two hands pointing at the number twelve. "Oh, no," she muttered and ran for the bathroom. Quickly, she jumped in the shower. As she scrubbed herself clean, she tried to figure out how she got into bed. She had woken up fully clothed on her unmade bed, her jacket thrown over her for warmth. Oh, no, not again! Ashton must have had to carry her in from the car. She was mortified. What a great start to her new career, she thought sarcastically. She was supposed to take care of him, not the other way around.

Scrambling, she got herself dressed and composed. Stepping quietly into the kitchen, she was grateful he'd specifically warned her not to wake him before noon. At least, she got that right. Stepping over to the stairs she strained to listen for any sign that Ashton might be up. Hearing nothing, she took a deep breath.

Good! She would get started on lunch. Whipping together a bowl of oatmeal, mixed fruit and a glass of orange juice, she placed it all on a tray. She figured she would take it upstairs. Breakfast in bed might make up for her unconsciousness the night before.

Quietly, she approached his door. It was open a crack. Peeking inside, she noticed it was quite dark. The blinds were tightly shut and it was hard to see. Remembering the land mines of cables and music related material, she stepped carefully while allowing her eyes to adjust. Finding an empty space on the night table, she rested the tray. She could hear Ashton's deep, even breathing.

Chloe looked him over in the dimly lit room. He was on his back, completely out cold. His makeup was streaked down his handsome face. He must be exhausted, she thought as she stood assessing him. She was torn over whether to wake him or let him sleep. She worried that he might be starving, though. She hadn't seen him eat anything yesterday and the oatmeal would soon get cold.

With a shaky hand, she lightly tapped his shoulder. He didn't move. She tried again, this time leaning a little closer whispering his name. "Ashton?"

All of a sudden, with one hand on her wrist, the other tight around her throat, Ashton rolled her over and pinned her underneath his full weight. She squealed in terror and grabbed his hand as it choked the life out of her. She tried screaming but could only manage a whimper. Terrified, she felt the sting of tears in her eyes. She panicked, thrashing wildly, not comprehending the situation. She only knew that she was starting to black out. In a last attempt, she rasped out his name again.

"Ashton, stop!"

Startled awake at the sound of her voice. Ashton, immediately released her and flung himself back across the room, horrified at the realization of what he had just done.

Chloe heard him swear out loud over and over. He was pacing and holding his head. She rested on her side, gasping for air. Still in shock, she started to tremble. "Why?" she gasped, confused as tears of relief sprung from her eyes. She grabbed her knees and folded herself into a tiny ball.

Overwhelmed with compassion and guilt, Ashton jumped back in bed beside her. Reaching his arms around her, he held her close, rocking her gently. "Oh, Chloe... I am so sorry. I was asleep. I must've thought you were an intruder. I'm used to waking up alone. Are you okay? Did I hurt you?" He tried to turn her to face him, but she wouldn't open her eyes. "Let me check you over. I have to see if you're okay." With trembling fingers, he gently stroked her hair and caressed her neck. "Please..."

After a moment, she relaxed into his embrace. "I'm sorry too." She lightly patted his hand. "I shouldn't have woken you up like that. I didn't mean to frighten you..." she paused for a breath. "You didn't hurt me. You just scared me that's all."

"I almost killed you," he agonized.

He was obviously crippled with remorse. Chloe realized she would have to reassure him or he might not forgive himself. Turning toward him, she took his face in her hands and looked him straight in the eyes.