Sneak Preview of Book 2

Sound Shelter

Copyright © 2014 by Maria Bernard

Updated © 2020

ISBN: 978-0-9731474-2-1

Nick could have kicked himself for agreeing to this. He should never have answered the phone that morning. In fact, if he'd known that it was Warren calling he wouldn't have. He had known Warren a long time, too long, in fact. Sure, he was a great guitar player and, yeah, it was a great opportunity for Warren to have been recruited by this latest band. The issue was, the guy had problems committing to things.

Nick had met Warren Lane way back in the first few years while touring with the Stick Shift Lips. Over time, Warren had bounced around from band to band and every once in a while he and Nick crossed paths. Nick had considered Warren a good friend at one point but unfortunately, the guy turned out to be quite a loose cannon. You could never count on him and he was always looking for favors. In fact, Nick hadn't heard from him in over six months so why Warren had even thought to call him was a mystery.

The only logical reason that Nick could think of was that he was probably the only guy who Warren could trust. Or perhaps it was the fact that everyone else had grown tired of his ways and wouldn't give him the time of day. Whatever the case, Nick wished he hadn't agreed to this, especially on this day. Glancing at his watch, Nick was getting anxious. He had a show to perform at the Chicago Summer Festival. The Stick Shift Lips were to go on stage at four-thirty that afternoon. He hated to be late. In fact, the band had a reputation for always being on time. He had even made the effort to get himself ready early so he could stop off at the airport and pick up Warren's cousin.

He must look a sight, he thought to himself as he was creating quite a stir of interest. Not only from the ladies behind the ticket counters but also from security. He glanced at his reflection in the glass a moment and checked himself again. He'd put a little extra effort into his look that day. He wore his signature head-to-toe black, his form-fitting cutoff Stick Shift Lips t-shirt, painfully tight black leather pants, studded leather armbands stretched tight over the lean muscles of his arms. His nails were perfectly manicured and painstakingly painted black. His shoulder length jet black hair was styled in various layers and spikes. His blue streaked bangs hung straight over his eyes. He looked good. He knew it and he smiled to himself. Now if only he didn't have to stand there holding that stupid piece of cardboard with the name Audrey Lane scribbled across it.

Glancing at the time again, he rolled his eyes wondering what could be taking so long. Where was she anyway? According to the schedule, her plane had landed over an hour ago. Most of the arriving passengers had already cleared out and now only a trickle made their way through the doors. Each time the doors opened he'd study the people coming through. He didn't even know what this Audrey looked like. Warren hadn't really given him any description of what to look for.

Nick imagined a female Warren. Tall, skinny, freckles and annoying. He shook his head trying to get that vision out of his head. Anyway, it didn't matter. All he had agreed to do was to pick her up at the airport and drop her off at the hotel that Warren had put her up in.

Nick shuddered to himself, reading over the name and location of the hotel he'd written down on a piece of paper. It wasn't exactly in the best part of town. Nice guy, he thought sarcastically. Apparently, Warren had worked out a deal with the hotel manager to allow his cousin to stay for free but still, come on, Warren, what were you thinking? Whatever, Nick shrugged, that was none of his concern.

Growing increasingly impatient, Nick glanced at the time again. All right five more minutes, he told himself. He still had to get back across the city for the concert and the hotel was all the way in the opposite direction. Any longer and he'd never make it on time. As far as he was concerned, he'd gone over and above the call of duty waiting almost an hour and a half.