Chapter 20

The next morning, Chloe woke up languidly, flexing her toes, feeling completely heavenly. Lying there a moment, she heard movement in the kitchen. Checking the time, she realized much to her dismay that it was already way past ten o'clock. Jumping out of bed, she darted into the bathroom. She washed her face and quickly brushed her hair, slowly coming to realize that she didn't remember much from the night before. The last thing she recalled was reading her book.

"Oh no, not again!" she gasped, realizing what must have happened. She saw her face turn crimson in the mirror. She gave herself a minute to calm down.

Slinking into the kitchen, she found Ashton looking out the window drinking coffee. "Been up long?" she asked sheepishly, pouring herself a cup while avoiding eye contact.

Ashton turned to her, allowing his eyes to wander along the lovely curves of her body while she poured her coffee. He hadn't slept well at all. He would allow himself this much. "A while," he said as he slowly exhaled.

"Oh," she said, leaning against the counter beside him.

"Did you sleep well, Chloe?" he asked, smiling sideways at her.

"Amazingly so, but I do have a question..." She paused. "I don't remember how I got into bed. Did you... umm?"

He chuckled softly. "Yes, Chloe, I did. I might've left you there on the couch, you looked so comfortable but we didn't want to wake you up. I figured I'd better put you in your room," he said, chuckling as her face turned red.

"We?" she gasped.

"Oh, just Chris, Nick and myself. I'm pretty sure Nick would've done the same if I hadn't gotten to you first. Although you might not have slept so well," he said, smirking as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Chloe covered her face with her hands. "I'm sorry you have to keep doing that. Oh, and what about your friends? I am so embarrassed."

"Come on now, it's not that bad. You fell asleep, so what?" Ashton said as he stood in front of her, peeling her hands away from her face. She resisted but peeked through her fingers at him.

"Thank you, Ashton,"she said with a sigh of resignation. "You truly are my hero."

"My pleasure, anytime," he said, grinning wide. "Now, I must say, while you do look lovely in that outfit, you might want to change before the guys get here." He quirked an eyebrow. "I don't think Nick can take much more." He roamed his eyes over her once again.

Taking a quick look at herself, she realized just how sheer her pajamas appeared in the sunlight streaming in from the kitchen window. She couldn't help but feel suddenly exposed especially under such close observation. "Oh, yeah. I guess I should," she said, catching his wandering gaze. She waved her hand at him bringing his eyes back to her face.

"Oh, hey, would you like something to eat," she asked, suddenly realizing that they hadn't had breakfast.

He just about tripped at her question. Shaking his head, smiling to himself. "Oh... Chloe if only you knew how much... never mind just go ahead I'm fine," he sputtered, stepping aside to let her by.

Chloe didn't quite get the joke but as long as he was laughing, that's all that mattered. Thinking quickly, she raced back out past Ashton and found her romance novel sitting on the floor. Good, at least, nobody could tease her about that. Tucking it under her arm, she raced back to her room.

Ashton poured himself another cup of coffee and sat down in his chair in the front room. He was in trouble and he knew it. He should've known right from the start. He probably did and let it happen anyway.