Chapter 44

Chloe woke up rested and content. The familiar sound of the male voices outside her bedroom made her smile. She was a little surprised that they weren't upstairs working on their music. Next, she heard the sound of pots and kitchen rumblings and realized Nick must be up to something.

Sitting up quick, she glanced at the time. It was almost six-thirty. She'd obviously slept longer than she had planned. Shaking her head, she dragged herself out of bed. Tiptoeing into the bathroom, she washed her face and brushed her hair.

Taking a deep breath, she entered the kitchen. When she rounded the corner, she found Nick standing by the stove, cooking up something that smelled amazing. Ashton was sitting in his armchair, flipping through a magazine. Chloe took a moment to appreciate the scene of domestic bliss. If only she could keep them both, she thought to herself. Nick with his puppy dog eyes, his dark hair, wearing his signature black outfit. Ashton in all his flaxen glory, blue jeans, and a white t-shirt. Still, she counted herself lucky and grateful for the love and care she'd experienced from each of them in their own way.

"Hey, you," Ashton called out from where he sat. "Sleep well?"

"Oh, look who's up," Nick said, smiling.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be out for so long. I was supposed to make you dinner," Chloe said, coming to stand beside him.

"It's not your fault. You were tired. If anything, Ashton should apologize for wearing you out," he teased, leaning into her. "Ah, go ahead and relax. Besides, you can make it up to me some other time."

"Okay, I will, thank you," she said, leaning her head on his arm. "What's for dinner? It smells great."

"Spaghetti bolognese," he said slyly. "My special recipe."

"Wow, can't wait," Chloe said. "I'll set the table." Afterward, she joined Ashton in the living room. "So, what have you two been up to?"

"Nothing much, just talking," he said, tapping his knee. "Come here, Chloe." She went gladly as he scooped her up onto his lap. Ashton enveloped her in his arms and deeply inhaled her scent. "Love you," he whispered with a reassuring squeeze.

"Love you, too," she said, looking up at him. Their gazes locked for what seemed like an eternity. The sound of Nick rattling on in the kitchen snapped them out of their trance.

"Okay, lovebirds, dinner is served," Nick said.

Chloe and Ashton joined him eventually. The guys sat across from each other with Chloe in between. "Wow, this is really good," Chloe commented.

"Yeah, well... never mind," Nick said, trailing off with a warning glance from Ashton.

Chloe smiled fondly and shook her head at both of them. "Honestly, I love you guys," she said, holding each of their hands in hers. "Nick, don't ever change. Seriously, though, you're going to make some lucky lady, very happy one day."

"Please, Chloe, don't worry about me. I haven't thrown in the towel just yet." Nick smiled rakishly.

"Yeah, it's perfect isn't it, buddy? You can play house with Chloe all you want and never have to worry about committing. It's the best of both worlds really," Ashton joked.

"Play house?" Chloe repeated.

"Yeah, you know pretend, make believe that he has a chance. It's safe that way. He has no intention of actually getting involved in a real relationship. He's just a pup, still having too good a time. Aren't you, Nick?"

"Hey, I'm only two years younger than you so don't get too comfortable. When she gets tired of you, she knows who to call," Nick said, pointing proudly to himself.