Chapter 19

At breakfast, Ashton sat waiting as Chloe prepared some pancakes. He was early today, she noticed. She put some coffee out on the table for him and he thanked her politely. Chloe was determined to stick to her all business rule, so she just nodded and went about flipping.

Placing a heaping pile of pancakes in front of him, she then made some for herself. When done, she sat with her plate and started eating quietly. She could feel him watching her but pretended not to notice. She chose to flip through some flyers instead.

"Chloe?" he whispered.

"Yes, Ashton?" she said, looking up at him.

"About last night, I'm sorry for snapping at you. I shouldn't bring work downstairs anyway. From now on after dinner will be strictly downtime," he said, reaching for her hand.

She pulled her hand out of his reach. "You can do whatever you want. It's your house, your business. I shouldn't have bothered you anyway. I'll just stick to my room and keep out of your way. I just got too comfortable and overstepped my boundaries. I'm here to work for you. You didn't hire me to be your friend. I'm sorry if lines were crossed."

Sinking back in his chair, Ashton crossed his arms and sighed. "Chloe, please don't do that."

"No, really, I meant what I said. I don't want to get in your way," she said, resigned.

They sat in silence for a while. Suddenly losing her appetite, Chloe managed to get through only one pancake. She stood up to take the dishes away. Ashton sat in his chair watching her.

"Can I get you anything else?" she asked with her back to him, hoping he would just leave. She heard his chair move and realized he had gone without another word. Good, she thought. Now she could relax until lunch. Then she'd go out and try to forget him for a couple of hours.

Chloe busied herself, tidying up the place after a night of band practice. There was evidence of it all over the front room. Magazines, guitars laying around, empty bottles, and potato chip bags. This she could handle.

Soon it was lunchtime and she placed a sandwich, an apple and a glass of milk on a tray. She dutifully took it up to Ashton. He was in his bedroom. She found him leaning against the window frame playing his guitar. It was a familiar song but she couldn't remember when and where she'd heard it before. He continued strumming as she placed the tray down on his night table.

Each time she did this she would catch herself thinking about the first time she'd walked into his room and startled him. The thought sent chills up and down her spine even now. She nodded at him and started to leave.

"Hey, Chloe," he called after her. She turned and waited. Again he wore no more than a guitar around his neck and faded blue jeans. The sun shone in the window behind him, his flaxen hair a halo. It literally hurt to look at him.

"Yes," she said, squinting.

He moved closer, away from the sun-drenched window. "Are you on your way out now? Shopping?" he asked with a slight smile.

"Yes, unless you need anything else, I'll see you in a couple of hours," she said, waiting.

Pulling the guitar from around his neck, he placed it carefully on its stand. Great, she thought sarcastically. Now nothing stood between her eyes and his bare chest. She struggled to fix them on her favorite spot somewhere between his collarbone and shoulder.

"No, I'm fine. Have a good time and don't rush home tonight. I'm going out with the guys later. So you're off the hook for dinner." He stretched mercilessly unaware of the dizzying effect he was having on her. "Don't wait up either. We'll be out late," he said as he dragged his fingers through his hair. "Will you be all right here alone?" He paused with a smirk on his face. "Because you know, I'm sure Nick would gladly stay behind and keep you company."