fifteen

f i f t e e n ; promise

Kitana fumbled with her bag as she and Sarah walked down the street on their way to school. The warrior princess wrapped her fingers over the strap on her bag, licking her lips. Sarah who was walking next to her, was holding a juice box and sipping from the container with spaced out grimaces in each sip.

The night before Kitana stayed with Sarah once again in need of academic help, because Ethan had been going on and on about some show that he was in love with. He claimed that the guy show was about was a paranormal hunter, but Kitana had been skeptical on about that. But not wanting to argue with the nerd, she got up and left to meet up with Sarah for her help instead of staying at the Morgan house.

They stopped in a grassy area in front of the school, just wanting to stand outside for a while before entering the building.

"Did you turn 11 last night?" Erica asked as she approached the two. She shook her head as she stared at the container that Sarah was drinking from. "What's with the juice box?"

"It's a new blood substitute Benny's grandmother gave me," Sarah answered as she stopped taking sips from the straw. She looked down at it with a weird look, shrugging. "I guess she's used to packing nerd lunches."

Erica took the juice box from her friend's hands and put it up to her nose to inhale the scent. "Ugh. It smells like shoe." She handed it back to Sarah.

"How is it?" Kitana asked the fledgling. She eyed the juice box warily, in the back of her mind wondering how much of a good substitute it was working for her.

"Not bad," Sarah answered. She looked at the container, listing the possible side effects from consuming the substance. "Aside from the fact it may cause nausea, dizziness, bloating, irritability, and sleep drooling." Erica and Kitana grimaced at what the girl listed off, internally retching at how those could happen. "So I hate it."

"I know you think feeding on humans is wrong," Erica started telling her friend, "but do you really want to risk bloating?"

Sarah pursed her lips, looking down at her shoes. Kitana gave her a sympathic glance, and turned to lead the way into the building. The vampire and the fledgling followed after, going into one of the hallways and waiting for the bell to ring.

It was only a few moments before the first bell was going to ring when the trio saw Ethan walk into the hallway with Benny and Rory, and some other man with a mullet. A few students in the hall seemed to have wanted to talk to the man, eager and practically jumping out of their shoes when he started talking to them.

Sarah waved her hand over, wanting to get Ethan's attention for him to go over to them. When he finally looked over, he walked over to them. "This new blood is awful," Sarah finally got tired of it. She wanted to stop drinking the disgusting substance and replace it with something better. "I need a new new one."

"You guys gotta stay out of sight," Ethan told the three, ignoring Sarah's plea for a new alternative for blood. His advice was coming out of sheer worry for his friends' lives being at stake when his hunter idol was in the same building as them. "That's Doug Falconhawk," he told them, pointing at the guy with the mullet that was still with Benny and Rory.

"And why the hell should we give a crap?" Kitana bluntly asked, shrugging her shoulders.

"Is that that night vision poser from that show you guys like?" Sarah asked, starting to laugh. "He looks like a prison hairdresser."

"Yeah, serious mullet fail," Erica added, laughing afterwords as well. "And you should be worried about him. If he gets in my way, he's lunch."

Ethan looked appalled, staring at them for a moment before speaking. "His hair... Is awesome. Doug is like Batman, and all four ghostbusters, and like a scientist motorcycle gang all in one." Sarah rose her eyebrows at what he was comparing this guy to, doubting every single word. "If he spots you two especially," Ethan pointed at the fledgling and the vampire, "you won't have a chance." He had a slight worry that Kitana might be in danger with the simple fact that she's immortal, and he didn't want to take the risk of having her and the hunter anywhere near each other.

"I'm sorry but they have me," Kitana said. "I think I could slit a throat in two seconds before this 'Batman' could even scream." The first bell rang, dismissing everyone to start heading their way to class. Ethan paled, staring at her serious stance. Kitana hummed with a slight smirk. "Kidding," she shortly said, turning to make her way to class.

"Kitana," Ethan called, grabbing her wrist and pulling her back. She turned back in order to face him, raising her eyebrow as she was waiting for him to say something.

"Ethan," she mocked, saying his name after he had said hers.

Ethan couldn't make the risk of Kitana acting upon her words, after all she was a lethal warrior. She was completely unpredictable. "Don't do anything," he told her calmly without wanting to start some bad tension between them. He still held her wrist, loosely but firmly as he felt her soft skin under his fingertips.

"Can't always make promises on that," she shook her head. She shortly flickered her eyes down to his hand holding her, and looked back up at him to see if he was intending on taking it away.

"Please," he asked, still not removing his hand.

Sarah and Erica looked between the two, and exchanged a look. Both of them had a slight smirk and glint in their eyes at the sight in front of them, slowly making their way away from Ethan and Kitana to let them have their little moment.

Kitana clicked her tongue, looking in thought for his plea. "Hm, since you asked nicely," she told him. "I won't do anything, Ethan." She turned, walking as she felt Ethan's hand leave her wrist.

~ ~ ~

[ unedited ]

ok hella short ( v v sorry ) but I FINALLY WROTE FOR THIS STORY OML BLESS