Chapter 18.

n. this chapter's a little wild so read the details and pay attention

"Tara."

The voice of my stolid, unfazed boyfriend cuts thickly through my slightly intense conversation with Keth. It seems Harry showed up at the worst moment, which is all too perfect. I turn and look him right in the eye, and he's too busy glowering in Keth's direction. He approaches us, wearing his scuffed up boots, black jeans, and a hoodie with the Uni's name on it.

I pretend to act oblivious. It's not as if I won't pester Harry about this until he explodes, so I might as well cut right to the chase. I feel slightly angry that I am in the exact position I'd want to avoid, annoyed with the circumstances and slightly with the people involved in them.

Turning right back to Keth, who is nervously staring at his sneakers, I send him a polite smile and say, "Thank you, Keth. For the flower. I'll see you around." I won't, most likely. It's just a harmless way to say goodbye.

Right when I feel Harry right behind me, I blindly grab his hand and pull him along with me in the other direction. "Tara," he calls, letting me pull him past the crowded hallway, past various doors until we're at the silence of the library. I ignore him up until the point where we reach our favorite little hidden corner, secured with tall bookshelves and the fancy carpet. When I've decided we're fine, I turn around, dropping his hand and giving him an expectant look. "How long were you watching him talk to me?" I ask.

"Right when he asked you on a fucking date," Harry remarks dryly. He then glances down at the rose in my hand. His eyebrows furrow and I can practically see the slight confusion and pent up annoyance. "He gave you that?"

I sigh irritably and ignore the question. "You have to tell me what the hell is your problem with that guy."

"My problem," Harry looks up at me, "Is that he's giving you flowers now." I watch him for some time, eyes narrowing and the irritation becomes more prominent on my face. He notices and exhales loudly through his nose, jaw clenched tightly. "His dad and my father don't like each other, never did," is all he says. But it's something.

"So you don't like him because your father didn't like his?" I question with an eyebrow raised.

"No, that's just...I don't like him because he's a fucking weirdo. His dad was a jackass, but that has nothing to do with it. He was around my house a lot. And when my mum was around...it just all felt strange," he explains, looking straight at me.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, attempting to understand where this is going. "Was he like...into your mom or --"

"I don't know what was going on with that guy," he asserts firmly. "But he's strange. I found pictures of my mum when he dropped his things in front of me. I freaked out and nearly beat the shit out of him."

My lips part. "What the hell?" I quietly interject. In that moment, a student walks by and glances in our direction before walking into another little corridor. Neither Harry and I are surprised and the tension continues.

He nods, seemingly still angry and annoyed even as he explains himself and proves to me he was right. He adds, "And when I used to associate with a lot of people, I knew this one girl. Violetta. She was my friend and she used to date him. At first I thought nothing of it but then she was showing up with bruises..and the rest is obvious. She left after -- got a scholarship to a great school. But my point is he's fucking strange. And I don't want him near you. He meddles a lot in my life. It's just..."