Chapter 31.

n. I feel like she really reminds me more of Tara. This is almost exactly how I pictured her. The girl in the picture is Japanese and Dominican. I've replaced the pictures so there are more of her in the previous chapters. And I'm HARDCORE about PoC representation, so any fanfic I write/wrote besides Dust Bones has a lead who is a PoC ❤️ 

this is a pretty long chapter. enjoy!

I hear my heartbeat in my ears right before they pop, my lips parting in disbelief. Wide-eyed and disorientated, I blink rapidly before looking to Harry, who stands on the other side of the vehicle. His face is a replica of mine, though with furrowing eyebrows he can only stare at the woman before us. I inhale deeply, but with struggle.

Katherine grips tightly the jet-black weapon in her red-manicured hands. Her arms stretched at their terminal length, her knuckles flushed white in contrast to her tanned, freckled skin.

I feel everything in great detail, noticing the wind and how it blows a strand of hair over my face, tickling the bridge of my nose. I notice Katherine's irrational behavior, from the gun held and the distortion of her usually hospitable face.

"What are you doing?" Harry finally manages to ask, voice lowed, but the questioned asked with a painstaking caution.

She raises her chin, swallowing harshly. A habit I've seen on someone else before. She does it again, stretching her neck, tilting her head to the side. "I'm so sorry, Harry. I really am," is all she says, her voice filled with an uncomfortable lack of sincerity. I feel my heart push up my throat, my stomach churning with nausea.

My face pales when she sends her artificial apologetic message along with her point of focus shifting to Harry, the muzzle of her gun pointed in his direction. I am abashed, my thoughts disorganized instantaneously with her movements, my mouth blurting out with panic, "Katherine --!"

"Shut up!" She snaps sternly, her voice filled with a hissing venom, jaw clenched tight now. Her aim now ranged towards my deathly still figure. Her normally kind eyes icy and grating. "Should've picked my son instead of Harry," she snaps. "You should've never treated Keth the way you did."

An audible gasp leaves my lips, seconds later unable to breathe properly. Harry's eyes widen, light green filled with a horror that no award-winning actor could ever replicate. "What?" Harry nearly whispers, voice so calm in yet the chaos that is painfully unfolding so slowly.

"Keth is my son," Katherine explains to us, eyebrows drawn together in a fierce expression. "His father worked with Desmond." She refers to Harry's father with disgust. "My family had always been so kind to yours. We-we gave all of our resources and help..." her voice goes soft.

Harry gulps. "Keth was obsessed with my mother, Katherine. You knew that. She told you everything--"

"Shut up!" Her finger presses the trigger, and the sound that thunders makes me scream as just for a second, I had thought the worst; she had shot Harry. To my relief, he bends down as a reaction as I do the same, her aim fired into the trees behind the parking lot where we stand. "Shut up!" She screams ferociously at me now in response to my scream. My eyes squeeze shut, and I feel a harsh grip on my arm.

"Katherine, don't touch her--" Harry tries to fumble out as quickly as he can, his panic obvious through the shakiness of his voice.

"Don't say another word," Katherine warns him, and my eyes are still tightly closed, grimace formed on my lips. I feel a cold, smooth metal pressed against to my temple too forcefully, causing some pain. My heart feels like it has stopped, and is bleeding out into the rest of my body. Body in a cold sweat as I press my lips together, both trembling as I feel her close, her grip still torturous on my arm.