F I V E

Jackson Avery

I woke up to my pager going off. The 1st year resident watching Payton was paging me 911. I hopped out of bed, pulled on a T-shirt and made my way to the hospital.

*sexy time skip to hospital*

"What happened?!" I frantically asked my nightshift, who was waiting for me in the lobby. We walked into the elevator and he started explaining what happened.

"I was helping her walk to the bathro-" he started before I cut him off.

"Walking? She can barely stand on her own, and you let her walk?!" I said raising my voice.

"I- I thought because the bathrooms only a couple feet away tha- that she would be okay. But we were only a couple steps in and she was shaking really bad and then she- she just fainted." He explained to me.

I was about to yell at him again when the elevator door opened and I was met by shepherd and hunt.

"Has she woken up yet?" I asked.

"Not yet. I'm gonna open her back up to see if there's something that's not showing up in her scans." Shepherd told me.

Hunt and him started discussing which angle would be minimally evasive. I was trying to figure out what could be wrong that wouldn't show up on scans,when suddenly it hit me.

"Guys, she doesn't need surgery." I told them. They both turned to look at me. "The shaking, passing out, she didn't eat yesterday. Her blood sugars low."

"One day of not eating shouldn't cause her to faint. Maybe some dizziness but not passing out." Hunt interjected.

"Yes, but one day of not eating is enough to make someone pass out if their hypoglycemic, which she is." I said.

"How do you know?" Hunt asked.

"Yesterday, when I told her we were gonna run more scans she told me that we didn't have to."

"She has her memory back?" Shepherd questioned.

"Yep, you were right, the amnesia was only temporary."

"Well did you find out anything else?"

"I found out that she isn't supposed to be in peds. She's 19, not 17."

"But her ID said she was 17." Hunt said.

"It's her old school ID from her 2nd year at Johns Hopkins. Shes already graduated." I explained.

"Well, we'll move her out peds and into a normal room. But don't think this lets you off the hook, you're still on babysitting duty. Now get in there and do your job. I want you in there all day and you will sleep in the on call room at night in case something like this happens again. Give her some meds to boost her blood sugar. Now go." Hunt ordered.

I walked down the hallway into her room. I grabbed some meds out of a drawer and pumped them into her IV bag. Her eyes started to flutter open, "what happened?" She asked.

"You passed out. Now, no trying to get up. I will be right back. No fainting." I said.

"I'll try to refrain from doing so." Payton said sarcastically.

I walked out of her room and took the elevator down to the cafeteria. I started grabbing random food for her, before heading back up to her room.

I walked over to her bed and pulled the bedside tray over her lap and set the food down.

"Eat." I stated, sitting down in the chair beside her.

She looked over at me, "Thanks for the food but you really didn't have to do that. I'm not rea-"