T H I R T Y- E I G H T

Jackson Avery

"Good morning." I whispered in Payton's ear as I came up behind her, my hands going around her torso.

"I missed you this morning." She said, leaning her head back against my chest. "You should have woke me before you left."

"I wanted you to sleep. Besides, I had to leave early that way we wouldn't get caught." I moved my lips down to her neck. She laughed and leaned into it for a second.

"You're gonna get us caught if you don't stop." She warned.

"Then let's get caught." I said. She laughed and pulled away, turning to face me.

"You-" she pointed her finger at me. "Are a very bad influence. I promise we will tell everyone, just not right now."

"When, Payton? I mean, we took a huge step last night. I'm for real about this, about us-"

"So am I. I promise you we'll tell everybody, soon. And about last night-" Payton trailed off, refusing to look at me.

"What? What about it?" I spun Payton so that she had to look me in the eyes.

"I don't wanna talk about it right now. Besides, Derek is making his closing remarks. You're up next." She told me breaking our gaze to look at the floor. I opened my mouth to say something else but she cut me off beige I could.

"Jackson, I'm nervous enough to give this presentation. I refuse to stand in the wings of the stage and fight with you while there's a huge audience out there, waiting for us to give the final two speeches." She said. The audience erupted in applause, which meant that Derek's speech was over and it was my turn to speak.
"You'll do great." Payton kissed me on the cheek and I walked out onto the stage.

Payton Arizona

I was listening to Jackson give his speech when Derek pulled me aside.

"You're presentation was great-" I started to compliment him but he interrupted me.

"So, how long have you and Jackson been together?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Jackson and I aren't-" I started to deny it out of habit but Derek gave me a look.

"Oh please, you can't lie to me. I looked over in the middle of my speech and all I see his lips permanently glued to your neck." Derek laughed. "You do know thats extremely unprofessional, right?" He joked.

"What's unprofessional?" Maggie questioned as she walked up to us.

"Jackson and Payton making out in public on business trips."

"Derek!" I yelled.

"You guys are together?" Maggie asked gleefully.

"No- yes, I don't know. I mean yes,we're together but we weren't gonna tell people until we were sure that it was a for real thing. "

"It seemed pretty real." Derek wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I rolled my eyes at him. " I really hope it does workout, though. Of course, in true Payton-Jackson nature, right off the bat things aren't going smoothly but... I think we'll get past it." I looked at Jackson on the stage admiringly.