F O U R T Y- F I V E

"How are you feeling?" Jackson asked me as he pressed a wet rag to my forehead.

"Mm." I grunted as I laid with my eyes closed.

"Are you sure you don't want more morphine?" Jackson asked.

"I didn't want the first dose you gave me." I snapped. Jackson didn't reply, just continued to stroke my hair and drag the cool cloth over my burning skin. I knew I was being a raging bitch, I had been one for weeks. I was fed up with the chemo, it made me feel like absolute shit and the tumor still had to shrink another 6% before they could operate. And even then there was only the slimmest chance of clean margins.

"Hey," I cleared my raspy throat. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap. I love you" I opened my eyes to look at the kind man sitting next to me.

"I know you do." He smiled and pressed a soft kiss to my nose. "Alright, I'm gonna get you more ice chips and I'll be right back."

"I'll be here." I affirmed, and closed my eyes once again.

Jackson Avery

"Dr Avery!" I heard Qadri call my name as she sprinted down the hall at me.

"Hey, Qadri, I'm not on call today and I have to get back to Payton, so-"

"Dr Avery, your mothers here. And she's turning the place into a war zone looking for you, so would you please just come talk to her?" I let out a sigh, setting down the cup of ice chips in my hand.

My mother was standing with her arms crossed  at the end of the lobby, a scowl plastered to her face. "Mom, you're supposed to be in LA-"

"Jackson Avery, I haven't heard from you in weeks. You haven't answered my call, my texts, my goddamn emails! What the hell is going on?"

"Mom, I've been a little busy with Payton- " My mom waved her hand to cut me off.

"Baby, here you go with that silly girl again. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, and I think what you are doing, being there for her, is really great. Hell, I yelled at the damn girl to get treatment for you! But you can't do this anymore. You can't keep throwing all your time into this little girl."

"Mom, how many times do I have to tell you,  she is not some little girl. She is my girlfriend." I rubbed my chin.

"Honey, she is a child. And she is dying. I know that you care for her and that this is a hard thing to face, but she is dying. Her chances of surviving this are slim to none and I just can't see the point in wasting so much of your time-"

"Stop! Mom, just- stop. God, do you really not understand? I love her. I am in love with her and I plan to marry her, and have kids with her, and she is not going to die. It's not gonna be that easy for you. And the sooner you come to terms with that, the better." By now everyone in the lobby was looking at us, watching as my mother and I screamed at each other. My mother opened her mouth to utter some retort, but I tuned her out as a voice came over the loud speaker.

"Dr. Shepherd to room 2412, Dr. Shepherd to room 2412."

"That's Payton's room." I said before sprinting in the other direction, leaving my mom standing in the lobby.

"What's going on? What the hell is happening?" I demanded, standing in the doorway.

"The tumor's blocking her airway, we have to operate today. And her body can't withstand the strain of being put under more than once so while Bailey and Grey take care of her pancreas and lungs, I'm gonna open her skull up. Maggie will see what she can do about Payton's lungs. " Derek explained as the nurses prepped Payton and whisked her off to the OR.