S E V E N

Jackson Avery

I slammed my coffees down on the nurses station counter and ran to Payton's room. Payton was fighting with a nurse and yang was trying to hold her down so she wouldn't swing at the nurse again.

I ran over to her and pinned her arms against her sides, but she continued to try and fight me.

"Payton, Payton it's Dr Avery. Your okay." She started to calm down a little as I spoke to her. "Shh it's ok. Your fine. Just calm down."

She calmed down so she was no longer throwing punches at me. Now she had pulled her knees up to her chest and was rocking back and forth. The nurse had ran out of the room as said as I got there. I looked down at the floor to see a shattered flower vase on the floor.

I looked up at yang, "What happened?"

"The nurse tried to examine her when she woke up and as soon as she touched her, Payton started kicking and punching. I got up to help but she threw a flower vase at my head."

I couldn't help but laugh. "You think it's funny that she threw a flower vase at my head?" Yang asked. I nodded my head.

"I'm gonna go grab my coffee. You can leave, your shift is almost up. Karev or Grey should be here right now." I told yang. She got up and left the room. I sweeped up the broken vase before walking out to get my coffee. I had gotten the 2nd one for yang, but she was gone so I just set it on the table next to Payton's bed. Just as I sat down again, Meredith walked in.

"So what do I do? Do I just sit here the whole time?" She asked me.

"Well now that she's awake, she's supposed to go for a walk each shift, good luck with that. But other than that you just sit here. She doesn't move, just don't try and touch her." I told Meredith before leaving. I really hope she heard the don't touch her part.

Meredith Grey

I sat down in the chair and tried making small talk with Payton, but she didn't respond. She didn't seem to even react to or acknowledge anything I said. She just kept her eyes closed the whole time, but not like she was sleeping, it was different.

After ten minutes of silently sitting next to her bed, I finally spoke.

"Okay, so I know you probably can't hear me. That's why I'm about to tell you all this. So here it goes, my best friend Cristina is fighting with her husband because he cheated on her. She didn't tell me about it, her husband did. Her husband thought that's she told me so he told me. She doesn't know I know. Well I haven't told her that I know, but I think she knows that I know. I mean I tell her everything. She's my person. I just, I wish that she would talk to me. Especially now. I want kids so badly but I guess I'm not meant to be pregnant and have kids. Anyway thanks for kind of listening, even though you can't hear."

Payton Arizona

I heard.

Meredith Grey

I had just finished talking to Payton and there was still no sign of acknowledgement. I sighed and put my hand on the bed next to her. Suddenly I felt a warmth on my hand. I looked down and saw she had laid her hand over mine. She turned so her head was facing me and her eyes were directed toward me. Her expression was blank and empty.

"Okay, enough moping. Let's go for that walk." I said. I stood up and pushed the chair back waiting for her to sit up. She laid in the same position, her eyes still open. I sighed before reaching to sit her up. I got her out of bed and on her feet. I don't know why Avery told me not to touch her. She's fine.