F O U R T Y-F O U R

"What the hell did you guys do?" I was met with silence from my three extremely stupid interns.

"Someone answer me!" I yelled. "I just had chemicals pumped through my body and then you all show up covered in god-knows-who's blood so somebody owes me an explanation now!"

"We just- we wanted to practice." Whitmore stuttered quietly.

"Jesus Christ what the hell did you all do?"

"We we're in the basement just practicing IV's but Dylan he- he just collapsed, fell straight into the tray of instruments. It's bad, Dr. Arizona-"

"What the hell are you waiting for, take me to him !" I yelled.

"But you just had chemo you can't-" Drake started to say.

"Do not finish that sentence. Beringer, page Bailey and tell her to bring her best resident. Whitmore, run and prep and OR as quick as you can. Drake, take me to Andrews. After that you all go to the chiefs office and wait there. No one leaves and no one speak word, you hear me?" The interns all nodded and scattered in different directions, while Drake took me down into the basement.

"Jesus Christ." I muttered when I saw the damage to Dylan Andrews, who was lying bleeding and unconscious. There were at least 4 10-blades and 3 11-blades poking out of his abdomen, as well as an array of other surgical tools protruding from him.

"Alright, Baileys gonna take at least a few minutes, you have to help me stop his bleeding otherwise he'll bleed out." I told Drake.

With the small amount of strength I had left, I pushed myself onto the ground next to Dylan and began pulling out the instruments I could and packing them with gauze.

"The rest of these may have hit major organs or are stopping his bleeding. If I pull them he could bleed out in seconds. Where the hell is Bailey?" I yelled out. I could feel the toll the chemo was taking on me and I know I was no help to the man lying on the floor. Right as the hopeless tears started to roll down my face, Bailey and DeLuca burst into the room, rushing over to the three of us.

"What the hell happened? Beringer just told me there was an emergency."

"No time." I said hastily.

"Alright, Drake help DeLuca get Andrews on a gurney and then take Dr. Arizona back to her room." Bailey ordered.

"No, I'm staying with him." Joshua demanded.

Bailey gave him a look, but decided against arguing. "Fine, DeLuca you take Payton, make sure she's alright. She just had chemo." Bailey said. The two men lifted the third onto the gurney and Bailey and Joshua ran out of the basement. I wiped my eyes and pushed myself back into the wheelchair and wheeled myself to the elevator.

When we were back in my room Andrew started his work up and ran an IV.
"You just had chemo Payton, you need to take it easy."

"Oh, and what was I supposed to do? Let Andrews bleed out on the floor of the basement." I snapped.

"Hey, I'm just telling you. I know you're used to being Superman, doing crazy shit all the time and coming out unscathed. But this is serious, you need to start taking your health seriously."

"You think I'm not taking this seriously? You think I don't understand that I am sick and weak and useless now!" I yelled. " Cause I get it! I understand that I can't even sit up by myself long enough to pack a wound with gauze, to keep a man from bleeding out and dying!" I screamed, breaking down into tears.
"Im useless, Andrew. I can't do surgery, I can't teach interns. Hell I can't even do chemo right!"

"Hey, no no no." DeLuca said, sitting in the edge of my bed. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes. "This cancer is not a sign of your weakness. You are kicking this things ass and you will continue kicking it's ass.  You'll be back in that OR in no time." He said.

"What's going on?" An angry voice asked from the doorway. Jackson was standing there with charts in his hand for me. DeLuca practically least away from me and hurriedly explained to Jackson what had happened  before running out of the room.
"You really shouldn't get so jealous," I said. "Andrew and I are just friends." Jackson completely ignored my statement, instead rushing over to my bedside.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Jackson." I grumbled. 

"You just had chemo, Payton, you can't be doing stuff-"

"Stuff like that, I know Jackson. I know, I know, I know. I'm supposed to just sit here and die and watch daytime television like a good little tumor host." I said sarcastically.

"Payton, you know that's not what I mea-"

"I know what you meant Jackson. But I'm sick and tired of being treated like I'm fragile. I'm sick and tired of being fragile! I do one thing wrong and I'm dead. Hell, I could even do everything right and I'm still dead. What's the point? Why the hell even fight it? Even if it goes away I'm gonna be some decrepit, chemical soaked vegetable who can't even do sutures. I may as well die." I'd began to cry. "But despite all of that, I don't want to. I don't wanna die Jackson." I whispered and he pulled me into him.

"Shh, it's okay. We got you, I promise."