T W E L V E

Jackson Avery

Payton looked at Dr Weber in shock. She reached her hand out behind her and I realized she was reaching for a chair. I helped her to the chair behind her and she sat down.

"I-I umm.." She started, not able to find any words.

"You need to sit down and relax." I told Payton. She suddenly looked very tired and weak. "Your still supposed to be at home recovering. You really pushed it with that surgery. Your body can't handle all of this stress."

"Avery, take the rest of your shift off, get her home and in bed. I'll find somebody to cover for you." Weber told me.

"Thanks. Oh, and will you let Derek know I'm taking her home, please?"

"Yeah no problem. Oh and Payton, please think over the offer." Weber called after us as I led Payton out of the hospital.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Knock, knock." I said tapping my hand against the door frame of Payton's room.

"Hey Dr Avery." She said rubbing her eyes. She had been sleeping for a couple hours after I brought her home.

"You can call me Jackson, we're not at the hospital." I told her, handing her the bottle of water I'd brought upstairs to her.

She took a sip then recapped the bottle. "Thanks, Jackson." I cracked a smile.

"How do you feel?" I asked her.

"Better." She said.
"You really over did it today. A long extensive surgery, fighting with Dr Yang, getting offered a job. It's a lot. You seriously need to take it easy or your gonna over work yourself." I told her.

"We're not in the hospital, your not my doctor right now." She joked with me.

"No but I am your friend who also happens to be a doctor." I joked back, laying down across the foot of her bed and locking my fingers behind my head.

"So, about the job offer. Do you think I should take it?" She asked after a moment of silence.

"I think it's a great opportunity. I just don't know if your body can handle the stress yet. We should ask Meredith and Derek, they'll be home right now." As if on cue, I could hear Meredith and Derek walk in the front door.

"Come on, let's go talk to them." I said standing up. I waited for Payton to stand up, but instead she just rolled over onto the floor. I grabbed a pillow off the bed and threw it at her, earning a grunt from Payton.

"That's payback for this morning, lazy. Now come on." We walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Hey Payton, Jackson. How was your day at the hospital?" She asked.

"Pretty good."

"Oh really, what did you do?"

"Oh you know, followed the nurses, drank some coffee, repaired a dissecting aorta, got offered a job, drank some more coffee." Payton said nonchalantly.

"Go back to that last part." Derek said.

"I said I drank some coffee." She said innocently.

"No no, before that. About the aorta and a job."

"Oh yeah, I repaired Mr Bentley, you know the guy who got impaled, his aorta. Then Dr Webber offered me a job." She said, sounding like it was no big deal.

"Well what did you tell him?" Meredith looked at Payton eagerly.

"Well Jackson got all crazy, because he thought I was gonna pass out or something-"

"She almost did pass out. Her body got way too overworked with the surgery today. Which is why I'm not sure she should take the job."

"I was fine. The in offer just shocked me a little bit. Either way, I'm taking the job. I can finally make some money and get an apartment or something. I'll get out of your hair."

"Payton this job opportunity is great and I think you should take it, but even if you are making your own money, your welcome to stay here." Meredith said.

"Alright, I guess it's settled then, I'm taking the job. I'll go call Weber." Payton said, a huge grin spread across her face.