T E N

Alex Karev

"That sounded like it came from the stairs..." Jackson said. We all ran out of the kitchen and over to the stairs.

"I'm fine, I'm fine." Payton said trying to pick herself up off the floor. Derek went to help her up anyway and she shoved him away.

"I'm fine I can do it." She said. I gestured for the others to leave the room. They all looked at me skeptically but exited nonetheless.

When they were all gone I picked her up off the floor and took her over to the couch. She fought me but I didn't care. I know what it's like to not want anyone to help you. She didn't wanna look weak or make us think that's she was incapable. It was a pride thing, I knew.

"I told you I could do it myself! I said that I had  it who the hell do you think you are to jus-" she raised her voice.

"One of your doctors, that's who I am.  Listen I get it, you don't like people thinking your weak. You don't wanna go against your pride, it's a common trait in good med students and surgeons. But let us help you. Everybody needs help sometimes. Just because you fall while your injured and you need help getting up doesn't mean your weak. You had a post op chest infection, you were coding. Most people don't survive that. Your 19 and only 3 weeks later your walking on your own. Plus you had a craniotomy and spinal surgery and more post up procedures. You are not weak. Stop being stubborn and let us help you. You live in a house full of doctors, get used to it."

She looked at me but I couldn't read her expression. I was so confused when she started laughing. "Pride. You think this is pride. You think you know me. You don't know shit about me."

"Lemme guess, you were a pampered rich girl. Mommy or daddy bought you any and everything including your way into med school. Mommy and daddy were never home so they made it up to you by buying you things. It caused you to have pride issues. Am I right or am I right?" I said, my temper getting the best of me.

She scoffed at me and stormed out of the room. Well at least I know she didn't hurt herself falling down the stairs. I walked into the kitchen.

"Is she ok?" April asked me.

"She's fine." I said. "Oh and Jackson, you were right. She is a brat."

Jackson Avery

"You called her a brat?" Derek asked.

"Yes. She called me a shitty resident so I called her a brat. I was just having a bad day, she's actually pretty cool." I said.

"I just told her to drop the stupid prideful act and she stormed out on me. Dumb bitch." Alex said. April rolled her eyes and walked out. A minute or two later she returned with Payton.

"I want you to call her that to her face. If you can say it while she's not in the room you can say it while she is." April told me.

"I said your a dumb bitch." Alex said without hesitation.

"Dumb cunt." Payton fired back. Her and Alex started cussing each other out. Profanity flying everywhere.

"Okay, okay that's enough." Derek said.

"And just for your information, there was no rich mommy and daddy. Hell, there wasn't even a mommy and daddy. There's was an alcoholic, stoner woman who brought home abusive boyfriends every week and a shitty alcoholic that left after I beat the shit out of him when I was 12. There was no extravagant home, either. There was me sleeping on the couch in the break room of the bowling alley I worked at to make minimum wage. Nobody bought my way into med school. I earned my way into Harvard at 14 and  Hopkins at 16. Like I said, you don't know shit about me." She spit her words at Alex, her voice laced with venom.

The room went dead silent. None of us had expected her to have that kind of background. Plus I was the only one who knew how young she was when she started school. We all turned our heads to look at Alex, cause we all recognized that story. It was Alex's.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

*The next morning*

"Wake up. Your gonna be late for your shift." Payton said to me, hitting me with a pillow.

"I'm up, I'm up!" I said as she raised the pillow again. She marched out of my room, taking the pillow with her. I laughed as I rolled over onto my stomach. Having her living here should be fun.

Alex Karev

"Get up, your gonna be late for your shift!" Someone said hitting me with a pillow. I opened my eyes to see Payton with a pillow raised over her head.

I rolled over, burying my face in the pillow. "Go away." I mumbled. She hit me with the pillow again.

"You have fifteen minutes before you have to leave, get up!" Payton shouted.

"Fine, I'm up!" I said. "Aren't you mad at me cause of what I said yesterday?" I asked.

"Oh please, you don't seriously think your the only person whose ever insulted me, do you? Shit happens, life goes on. But seriously, now you've only got 14 minutes. Let's go!" She said hitting me with the pillow one last time, before dropping the pillow on my bed and walking out. I threw the pillow at her and she flipped me off, not looking back.

I walked downstairs. "I made breakfast." Payton said as Meredith walked downstairs followed by Jackson and April.

"Thankyou so much, but we have to go right now. We don't really have enough time to eat."

"I understand, groundbreaking surgeons, busy schedule. That's why breakfast is breakfast burritos in Tupperware and travel mugs of coffee." She said sliding 4 containers and coffee mugs forward.

Meredith smiled at her. "Thank you."

"No problem. But seriously, you've guys have to go or you'll be late." She ushered us over to the door. As she walked away, I called out her name. "Payton" I picked up a throw pillow off the couch.

"Yeah?" She asked.

I threw a pillow at her.