F O U R T Y

Payton Arizona

"Names, go." I ordered. I sighed when none of the interns said anything. "Names, please. Anybody in there?" I snapped my fingers in front of one girls face.

Her eyes widened and she managed to stutter out, "A-al-Alicia. Alicia Whitmore." I turned on the next intern.

"Edward Beringer."

"Dylan Andrews."

"Joshua Drake."

"Alright, good, you all know how to speak." I said. "Like I said, I'm Doctor Arizona. Before we go anywhere, I'm gonna say a few things.
First, don't do anything stupid. It's your first day, you're interns, you will do something stupid. But, I'm in charge of you so I'm telling you don't do anything stupid. Second, from
here on out, you second guess your every move, then you second guess it again. You will be extremely meticulous about everything you do or say. Third, in this job, you hold people's lives in your hand. That does not make you God. Do not try to be God." I said with a note of finality.

I started walking down the hall, my interns in tow. "You are interns, the bottom of the food chain. People will treat you like shit, they will be mean to you, they will make you do demeaning and shitty things. If you can't handle that then you need to pick a different profession. I am here to teach you, I will not baby you. My first few years here were absolute hell, and even now, I have it harder than the others in my class. So, before we enter this room, take a second and ask yourself, can you handle this? If not, I'm giving you the chance to walk away right here, right now." I looked each of them in the face and waited to see if doubt would get to one of them.

"No one? Okay." I put my hand on the door handle and pushed my way into the room.

"Then let's jump right in. Doctors, say hello to Magdalein Klein. She's had 82 skin grafts in the past two years, none of which were able to heal and thrive properly with the native skin. Three years ago, Maggie was walking down the street when a man came out of nowhere and dumped corrosive acid on her. The first year of her recovery was dedicated to strictly keeping the wound clean and fighting off any infections. But now, after many skin grafting techniques and skin flaps, we believe we can safely expose new skin." I smiled at Maggie. She grabbed by hand and smiled a wide smile at me.

"Now, in a few hours, the head of Plastic Surgery Dr Avery, who you'll meet soon, and us will be operating on Maggie." I started, but before I could say anything else I was interrupted by Beringer.

"Wait, did you just say us?" He asked.

"I did." I smiled at the interns. Their faces lit up and they resembled excited puppies. "Except there's a catch. When I say us, what I really mean is me and one of you. You see, Dr Avery and I have organized a little competition to see which one of you gets to scrub in. If you'll follow me to the skills lab, we can get started."

I inwardly smiled at how excited the interns looked. They were whispering excitedly to each other, their feet practically bouncing with every step.

"Does anyone have any questions for me?" I asked.

"How come you chose Plastics as your specialty?" Drake asked me.

"I actually haven't chosen a specialty yet. I work whatever cases I'm called into or I pick up in the ER." I explained. "Anything else?"
From behind me, I could here them whispering to each other violently.