T W E N T Y- S I X

Jackson Avery

"Oh god. Payton, turn around and walk away right now." I said as the figure of Catherine Avery approached us from the other end of the room.

"Why, what's happening?" Payton asked.

"Payton, I'm serious. My mother is here and trust me she's not someone you wanna meet."

"Jackson, I'm sure she's fine-"

"No Payton, you don't understand. My mom can be-" I was cut off by my mothers voice.

"How's my baby?" My mom planted a kiss on my cheek.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"What, I can't come visit my baby at work?" She asked, engulfing me in a hug.

I glanced over at Payton. Sitting atop her face was the biggest smirk I'd ever seen.

"Whose this?" My mom gave Payton a harsh once over as she pulled away from our hug.

"Mom this is Doctor Payton Arizona. She's one of my room mates and most promising residents." Payton held her hand out for a handshake.

My mom sized up Payton once more before warily shaking her hand.

"It's very nice to meet you, Dr Avery. I'm a big fan of your work." Payton smiled at my mom.

"Are you complimenting me?" I asked Payton. She playfully punched my arm.

"Not you. I mean your mothers surgical work. Your restoration of that mans full penile function was absolutely astonishing." Payton smiled at my mom. It was the nicest I think I'd ever seen Payton be. My mom mustered a small polite smile.

"Well thank you, Dr Arizona. Maybe while I'm here we could scrub in together or something. Now, I have work to do, but I'll see you in a bit Jackson." My mom kissed my cheek and walked away. As soon as my mom was far enough away and out of earshot, the smile dropped from Payton's face.

"She doesn't like me." Payton stated.

"What?"

"Your mom. She doesn't like me."

"Payton you can't know that. You just met her-"

"She doesn't like me. She gave me the coldest once-over twice, she could barely muster a smile at me, and she barely touched my hand during that hand shake. She's a surgeon, surgerons have delicate movements but strong grips. She doesn't like me. Every part of that woman screamed dislike."

"I'm sure she'll come around. She hasn't gotten the chance to get to know you yet. She'll love you."

"We'll see."

--

Payton Arizona

"Doctor Arizona, how odd seeing you here." Catherine Avery said as she came to stand beside me at the nurses station.

"Umm, I work here so... not really." I turned to look at her. "But is there something I can do for you, Dr Avery?"

"What do you want with my son?" She said dropping the polite act immediately.

"Pardon me?" I turned to fully face her.

"My son, what do you want with him? He is a smart and successful young man and he doesn't need some child like you ruining that for him." I scoffed at Catherine's sudden cold remarks.

"What I want with your son is nothing but his friendship and he's been nice enough to give me that. Jackson is an amazing young man and whatever you think I'm trying to do with him or get from him, you're wrong."

"Oh please, I saw the way you two were acting with each other. I want you to stay away from Jackson. He's always been a sucker for a pretty face and as brilliant as my son is, he'll fall right into your trap." The nurse behind the desk held up a tablet in front her face, trying to look like she wasn't listening to me argue with Catherine Avery.

"Alright listen lady," I slammed my clipboard onto the counter. "I'm not trying to 'trap' your son into anything. Jackson is my best friend and you're his mother which sets some boundaries. You being his mother only means that I can't pop you in the face but it sure as hell doesn't mean that I have to like you. Now, for Jackson sake, I can try to be polite to you but just know that the feeling of dislike you showed to me earlier, yeah well it's mutual. Now if you'll excuse me, Jackson and I have a post op patient to check up on." I handed my clipboard to the nurse and marched down the hall.

I slipped into an empty on-call room and locked the door. Now I knew where Jackson got his ability to piss me off so well.  I'd had two conversations with his mother and she already had me in a seething rage. I couldn't believe she was trying to tell me whether I could or couldn't talk to her son.

"Hey, someone told me you slipped in here. You okay?" I turned around to face Alex.

"I met Jacksons mom today." I said stuffing my hands in my scrub pockets.

"Oh god." Alex said.

"Oh god is right. She told me that I was trying to 'trap' Jackson and then she ordered me to stay away from him." I seethed.

"Oh no. Where did you hide the body, don't worry you can tell me." Alex joked.

"Shut up. I didn't kill Catherine. I did yell at her though. The nurse at the desk watched like it was some soap opera."

"Nurses are like drug dogs when it comes to smelling out hospital drama. They're worse than residents."

"Watch it Karev, I'm a resident." I cracked a smile.

"There's that smile I was waiting for. I gotta go, don't kill Catherine Avery while I'm gone." Alex pulled me into a side hug and kissed the top of my head. I rolled my eyes at his brotherliness.

I stepped back out into the hallway after Alex and ran into none other than Mommas Little Boy.

"Hey, I heard you talked to my mom." Jackson fell into step with me as we made our way to the elevator.

"More like had a pissing match with her. I would apologize for yelling at your mom, but I'm not actually sorry." The elevator opened and I pressed the lobby button.

"Yeah, I didn't think you would be. Besides I don't blame you, my mom can be pretty over bearing sometimes." We both laughed as we made our way into the parking lot.

"Just a little bit. She came on just a little strong when she told me to stay away from you and that I was trying to 'trap' you." I laughed and we stopped walking and stood next to the car.

"She said that? Ughh I'm so sorry." Jackson groaned and rubbed his face. "What did you tell her?"

"Well there may have been a part where I said that the only reason I couldn't hit her was cause we're friends. But I also told her that I wouldn't stay away from you. I mean you're my best friend I could never just- stop talking to you. You're were one of the first people who befriended me here. I mean, we also hated each other when I was your patient but still. I'm pretty sure I would die if you stopped being my best friend Jackson I mean, I love you-" I cut off my rambling as I realized what I'd said.

"Oh, Jackson-" I immediately began to ramble again.

"Payton," He cut me off as he took a step towards me so we were only inches apart. His hands found their way to my waist.

"I love you too." And, in the pouring Seattle rain, he pressed his lips to mine.