E I G H T E E N

Meredith Grey
"Surprise!"

"Ah, nevermind it's just Hunt." I said.

"I feel welcomed." He laughed.

"Oh, you know what she means." Yang said. (Yangs still at Grey Sloane in my story. She'll probably leave eventually but right now the only one that has left is Altman and Lexi and Mark have died.)

"Everyone hide! She's on her way up!" Alex said, backing away from the window where he was looking out for Payton. We all got into our hiding spots and waited for the door to open.

"Surprise!" We all yelled as Payton stormed through the door. She didn't stop as she continued through the apartment and into one of the bedrooms, tears streaming down her face. I went to walk towards the bedroom but Jackson was already at the door, trying to get her to unlock it. I saw the door open just a crack and Jackson pushed his way into the room despite her pushing against the door trying to keep him out.

"What the hell happened?" I asked DeLuca who had walked in shortly after Payton. On his face was what was beginning to form a bruise. His left eye was completely swollen shut, and his lip had been split open. He opened his mouth to speak when Jackson burst through the door and tackled DeLuca. He was on top of him, and Owen and Derek rushed in trying to pull them apart. DeLuca had landed a few punches, though not nearly as many as Jackson. I grabbed them both by the ear, dragging them into the parking lot outside.

"Somebody start talking." I demanded.

"You piece of shit dirtbag-" a string of profanity like I'd never heard came from Jacksons mouth.

"How was I supposed to know she'd react like that?" DeLuca said. His injuries had become slightly more extensive. He now had more bruises and his nose looked like it had been slightly broken. Nothing that wouldn't heal within a few days.

"Because she's a human being?!" Jackson and DeLuca were now just shouting at each other.

"Somebody tell me what the hell is going on, right now!" I said through gritted teeth.

Jackson looked at me, recounting the tale Payton had told him. I stood there trying to display no emotion on my face. I would be a neutral body, despite what I knew about Payton.

He finished explaining the story to me and then walked back into the building without another word.

Jackson Avery

I walked back upstairs to the party. When I reached the apartment, everyone was whispering to each other about the rumors that had undoubtedly began to spread already.  They spread like wildfire. And even if they did guess what happened, even if they did guess that Payton was being teased about being a virgin and tried to hook up with DeLuca. Even if they did guess that he was also snarky about the fact she was a virgin and told her 'he wouldn't hold her virgin little hand and walk her scared ass through it.' Even if they did guess that she punched him in the face and stormed over here, they still wouldn't be 100% right.

-

Derek was trying to coax Payton into opening the door.

I moved beside Derek. "Payton," I rapped my knuckles against the door frame. "I already know what happened. Please let me in. I need to talk to you. Either you let me in, or I'm coming in." I waited a few seconds before I heard soft, almost silent, footsteps approach. Payton unlocked the door and opened it just enough let me in. She went to close it but Derek had slipped into the room behind me. Payton had resumed her position on the floor of the bathroom, her hand wrapped in a towel.