14 // Unmarked Territory

"That prick," Damien spat, walking into the room as he slammed the door behind him.

 It was late. I was curled up in bed with a book, waiting for him to come back from his office. Now don't be confused, this isn't some husband-wife nonsense going on. Damien was--as far as I was concerned--the only person who could keep me safe from Xander. So every night, for the past 4 days, I've refused to fall asleep until Damien is soundly by my side. 

It's a paranoia thing, okay? 

He peeled his shirt off of his body, and I let my eyes flutter back to my book. 

After our...intimate encounter a few days ago, it was getting harder and harder to ignore the tension between us.

"What did he do now?" I asked mostly out of obligation. 

"The guards have escorted him from this hall multiple times this week. I placed him on the opposite side of the Palace for a reason, you know." 

 He slipped into the bed beside me, and I was taken by surprise. He pulled at my waist, and flipped me underneath him. I looked up, my book strewn beside me. 

"He's not going to take you from me." 

I couldn't speak. My gaze was locked on his lips. 

"Put your book away, Belle," he grumbled, pushing it onto the floor as he fell onto the mattress beside me onto his back. He pulled me onto his chest, letting out a relieved sigh. 

"I wish I could get you away from all this." 

"I understand, you need him under your roof to keep an eye on him." 

"Is he still in meetings every day?" 

"Easing the minds of concerned packs," he groaned.

 "How much longer can it last?" I inquired.

"As long as he wants it to," he replied. 

"You can kick him out, you know. You are the ultimate King when it boils down to it." I felt him chuckle. 

"I'm glad you know who's on top." I blushed at his words, burying my face further into his chest. "Unfortunately, part of our treaty is that the Palace is now an open door for him. He was in my office for forty minutes today trying to allow other Rogues in the area." 

"So what did you settle on?" I asked. 

"He told me that since I have been so hospitable, it only makes sense that he returns the favor." 

I scrambled up from my spot on the bed. "Are you trying to tell me that he wants you to go there? On an isolated mountain in his mansion filled with rogues that want to kill you?" 

"You're not making me feel any better about it," he frowned. 

"What do you mean? You can handle yourself," 

"You have to come too."

My world froze. Me, surrounded by dozens of males itching to mark the nearest girl around? Half of rogues were unmated because they were rejected, it was a recipe for disaster and Damien knew it. Xander knew it. 

As much as I wanted to believe that Xander was planning my demise, I knew I wasn't his subject of torture. It was Damien. It was always Damien.

"When does he want you to come?" 

"We haven't decided on a date yet. I want to sleep, Cy, I want to forget about this. Make me forget about this." 

Fully aware that he was about to turn on his side and fall asleep, I pulled his body towards mine as I straddled his abdomen. I rested my lips on top of his, and felt the butterflies in my stomach as he gripped my thighs.