29 // Home Sweet Home

The ride home was silent, and tense. We took Xander's car, and the last view I have of Damien was him whimpering in his wolf form as he clawed against the wrought iron gate of the palace. I can't believe I did that. It was complete and utter impulse. 

"I thought you would be happier about this," I murmured. 

He let out an exhausted sigh. I knew he'd been waiting to vent the entire car ride. 

"Maybe I would have been happy if you chose me because you wanted me back, Cyan. You chose me for politics, not love. Nothing between us has changed." Silence overcame both of us. "Are you in love with my brother?" 

"Is it possible for me to be in love with both of you at the same time, for different reasons?" 

"I suggest you decide who you love more, because wolves mate for life. Polygamy isn't exactly our thing," he muttered as he looked back out the window. I reached across the center console and intertwined his fingers with mine. He looked up to me, and the brief look of surprise crossed his face. 

"What are you doing?" He furrowed his brow. I lifted my other hand and cupped the side of his face. 

"Trying," I murmured. 

We pulled up in front of his mansion, with Serena and Luca waiting for us on the walkway. I stepped out of the car hesitantly. Serena wasn't my biggest fan; that much I knew. To make matters even worse, I think Luca did like me. 

Fantastic. 

"Welcome back, our Queen." Serena curtsied and Luca bowed, and at first I thought they were mocking me. Getting ready to defend myself, I was surprised when they actually seemed...humble. They weren't treating me this when I visited as Damien's future Queen. 

"It's late, Cyan. We should get some rest." Xander hurried me past them, pulling me up into his room. I sat down awkwardly on the bed while he went to the bathroom to take a hot shower. This felt like the longest two days of my life. How did people do arranged marriages? Everyone must have been miserable. 

I was buried under the covers by the time he got out of the shower. I was as still as I could possibly be. I peeked my eyes open to see him rummaging through his dresser with his back to me. He only had a towel on, and I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. 

What are you doing, Cyan? You need to stay faithful to Damien, your real mate. 

After slipping on shorts, he turned around and made eye contact with me. After the element of surprise left him, a smirk crawled across his face. 

"Can't sleep, love?" 

"Sorry," I mumbled as I rolled over until I faced away from him. 

I felt the other side of the bed dip until he was laying beside me. Part of me hoped that when I got here, we would be staying in separate rooms. The other part of me knew that there was no way in hell that I would feel safe in a house on the mountainside, hours from civilization and surrounded by rogues that previously wanted my head on a stick. 

I felt warm hands wrap around my waist as I was tugged flush against his back. Warmth rose in the pit of my stomach, and I felt his lips press against my neck. I went rigid as they got closer and closer to my mark. When they made their way over top of it, I felt like my neck was being branded. I cried out in pain, sitting upright as I clamped my hand over top of it. 

"What was that?" I muttered. 

"Damien marked you. That's your body reacting to another man that isn't him." 

Xander sat up as he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Even when I get you, I can't have you." 

"Xander, if I do choose you, more than just politically, the Moon Goddess can unmark me." 

"How do you know?" He turned to me excitedly. 

"Just trust me," I sent him a small smile. He pulled me back down next to him, and I put my head against his chest. 

"Are you going to choose me? More than just politically?" 

I propped myself up so that I could look into his eyes, and sighed in defeat. 

"Would you believe me if I said I was torn?" 

"I'll always believe you, Cy." 

____________ 

Be sure to vote for this chapter! The more  votes, the faster I update! Also leave a comment, I love interacting with you guys, your comments entertain me :) I hope you have a good day today!

xoxo 

Kate