Chapter 5

"Welcome to Pampered Pets how can I help you?" I recited robotically not looking up when the bell jangled on the front door. I had worked here for three years so that line felt like breathing. It was the first thing we were expected to say when a customer walk through the door.

I was kneeling on the floor stacking bags of pet food on the shelves just below the check-out counter.

"Oh Becca honey."

I looked up from my position and smiled at the woman who had entered. She was wearing another one of her brightly coloured floral blouse and electric blue slacks. Her hair was a cap of cherry red and she wore a multitude of beads around her neck. Joan Harrington was a whirlwind of energy, one of those generally happy people and a regular customer. 

Standing and dusting my hands on my maroon apron that said 'Pampered Pets' on the breast pocket I smiled at her. "Hey Mrs. Harrington"

"Becca darling. I need a few things for Mr. Darcy."

Mr. Darcy was Mrs. Harrington's cat and he, I'd say was one of the most pampered pets ever. I think this store was his namesake. She loved the four year old tabby like he was her only child. He was spoiled with numerous toys and treats and other things I was pretty sure he didn't need or already had two of. 

Mrs. Harrington could easily be annoying, considering she spend a full fifteen minutes comparing two different kinds of shampoo eventually buying both, but she was just that lovable. After stocking up and buying almost two hundred dollars in things for Mr. Darcy she left with a huge smile on her face and her bags tucked safely under her arms. 

Erin walked out of the back room with a giant box in her hands. She had started working here the summer before but eventually just stayed on as a part-timer. 

"Mrs. Harrington just bought more stuff for Mr. Darcy. Honestly sometimes I wish I was that cat," I caught Erin's expression "What's with you?" 

"Okay fine, you win," she inhaled putting down the box and walking over to me "I know you were just waiting for this but since I can't keep it in anymore and I did try really really hard too I'm just gonna ask what was up with you and Jack today at lunch?" 

I stared at her tilting my head to the side astounded that she had managed to say that all in one breath and not pass out. 

"We're doing an English Project together," I told her "You know that."

Erin narrowed her eyes at me, a smile pulling at the corners of her lips "Ha ha funny but that's not what I mean and you know it. You guys were like, like eye fu--"

I cut her off "I know where you're going with that so stop. Nothing is going on between us, at all. He's annoying. He only did that little scene at lunch today to get me all flustered."

"It worked."

"But," I continued over her "I'm unto his game. He thinks that if he distracts me enough I'll end up doing all the work and he'll get a free pass. And let me tell you now there is no way that is going to happen. Besides he's totally not my type."

She gave a sarcastic laugh "Oh, please if I were inclined to believe you - which I'm not, Jack O'Connor is everyone's type. I mean that body, those eyes, his smile, and lets not forget about the accent."

"Then why don't you date him?" I said sweetly walking away from her.

"Because, I have and amazing boyfriend who is just as hot, minus the accent," she countered following me "There is nothing wrong with just looking. You guys obvious have heat between you. Get closer and start a fire."