Chapter 7

"Okay," said Erin plopping down across from me at our lunch table, her perfectly shaped brows arching, the chatter of a crowded cafeteria surrounding us. It was just the two of us today, Scooter had some sort of a meeting with his coach and the rest of the team about some upcoming game. I wasn't really sure, I sort of tuned him out when he began talking about sports. "What's with you?"

I frowned, confused "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, you've been walking around with that scowl on your face," she pointed to my face "since yesterday. I'm afraid that your eyebrows might actually cave into your nose."

I laughed at the visual that provided and shook my head before running my fingers through my hair "It's nothing."

"Are you still thinking about Sara and what's his face?" she wondered genuine concern lacing her voice.

When I'd told her about Sara and Damon she had rushed over with a tub of vanilla ice-cream - I loved that girl - and cheesy chick flicks, that was her particular brand of therapy. According to Erin most of life's problems could be solved within the 90 minutes it takes to watch a Romantic Comedy. I didn't agree really agree, there was too much crap in the world to be so simply solved.  But Erin being Erin was ever the optimist, believed in happy endings. 

She reached across the table and took my hand, her eyes searching my face. 

"No," I answered truthfully.

To be honest I hadn't really thought about Sara and Damon or that aspect of my messed up life, since I'd rehashed the events to her. Even though when I got home yesterday there was an empty bottle of wine on the coffee table and Damon was on the couch groping my mom, again. It was like they had no impulse control and were forever horny. 

I mourned the loss of the naps I would never take on that couch again. 

There was no way I was even going to be sitting on it especially since I was sure they'd had sex there. A shudder ran through me, not something I wanted to think about. 

"I'm sorry," she said offering me a watery smile.

"For?"

"For not being able to fix this for you."

"Erin, you don't have to fix it, honestly I really don't think anyone can. But I'm glad you're there for me when I need someone to unload on, considering that Phil cut back on my sessions. I know I'm not the easiest best friend to have."

At first I tried to hide the fact that I was in therapy from her. I mean what fifteen year old girl want's to admit to her best friend that she's seeing a shrink? But after a while I figured that my situation could be a lot worse. I could be strung out in an old abandoned apartment building in downtown missing half my teeth, so having a therapist, not all that bad. So here I was your average seventeen year old with issues and a therapist. 

"True," she agreed but I could tell from her light tone and bright smile that she was joking "But I could overlook that if you'd reconsider going to Scooter's party with me."

I shook my head, "Absolutely Not. I just don--" 

"Becca."

My body stiffened and looked towards Erin who offered him another one of her bright smiles, cheerfully greeting him. I sighed and fixed a blank expression on my face before turning to him.  He moved cautiously over to me and pulled out a chair, dropping his backpack at his feet. 

"Hey Erin. Becca." He inhaled like he was organizing his thoughts in his mind "I wanted to say that I was sorry about yesterday morning," his eyes were soft and full of guilt, "I didn't think--"