Chapter 25

I could barely stay awake but I had survived, at least for most of the morning period of my day, just don't ask me what was being taught. I was essentially a zombie. A very distracted zombie. My phone had been glued to my hand for most - if not all of that time - as I recieved updates from Jack. Most of his texts were about how bored he was, or how terrible the food was with a dose of heavy flirting but I didn't care, at least he was awake to be flirting and not scaring me half to death.

The lunch bell rang and I moved the the crowd of hungry teenagers to the cafeteria, my head glued to the screen. I plopped down at my regular table, noting that no one had yet arrived. I took a moment cradling my head in my hands and deep calming breaths.

"Hey Becks," I looked up to see Scooter towering over me a friendly smile on his face, Erin closely behind.

"Hey," Erin shoved her bag at Scooter, who obediently took it before she pulled me up and into a hug. "How's he doing?"

I snuggled into her hug, sighing away some of my weariness. Erin's hugs were absolute magic and I believed held some sort of healing power. "He's fine. The doctors say he could get discharged this evening. I have a free period after my next class so I'll leave early and meet him at the hospital."

I was suddenly thankful that tomorrow was no school. I was too exhausted to do this again. My phone beeped and I smiled at the message. He'd sent a picture of himself pouting with a caption that read 'Come Save Me'

I replied with a 'Parole Hearing isn't for a couple of hours'. It was easy banter and some of the darkened weight that had descended on me last night lifted.

"And how are you doing?" Erin asked concern in her eyes.

I shrugged lightly. "I'll be fine."

I knew what she was really asking but I didn't want to think about it too much. I was too fearful of the things that would run through my head if I did. My phone beeped again and I reached for it.

"I know that your boyfriend is in the hospital, " Erin started snatching away my phone. Panicked I clutched at it, but she was simply to fast for me. "But I don't think he'd want you joining him. So eat. You'll get your phone back when your done."

I wrinkled my nose at her, resisting the urge I had to stick my tongue out at her. "Yes mom."

She dangled the phone between two of her fingers swinging it lightly, to my ultimate panic - What if she dropped it? "Maybe I should just tell Jack that you won't eat and have him yell at you."

I narrowed my eyes at her. Jack would have indeed scolded me if he knew I wasn't eating. After the last time, when he'd had to take me to the hospital he was a Nazi about making sure I never missed a meal. "You wouldn't. "

She pushed a tray toward me that seemed to have appeared out of thin air, but more likely Scooter had gotten it because Erin also had one he was missing from the table. "Oh I would."

I leaned back and crossed my arms over my chest. "What happened to loyality? I'm supposed to be your best friend."

"Loyality goes down the totem pole after your health, because it seems that you don't care too much about it. So I have to. Now eat."

This time I did stick my tongue out at her, childish as it may have been and she only smirked at me but I obliged and started to eat.

***

I stood in the doorway watching a nurse - who was relatively young and very pretty - nervously arrange the half empty containers on a tray. Her hair was gathered loosely at the nape of her neck, her shoes soundless on the floor, her stark white uniform complimenting her tanned skin in a way that made her feel like the ultimate sun kissed beach beauty. I cleared my throat I walked into the room. She gave me a small smile and turned wheeling away the food cart a deep blush tinting her cheek.