Chapter 22

Sara and I were avoiding each other, so the entire week had past without either of us speaking. It was better this way, if we had spoken we would have surely fought. Her only communication was a vague note telling me she was going to be staying at Ari's for few days. I didn't mind. I had a phone and a pizzeria on speed dial, and and open invitation from James to have dinner with them. I wasn't going to starve.

There was a faint knocking and confusion creased my brows as I rolled off my bed wondering who it was. Sara had her key so she wouldn't have knocked, but knowing her she probably lost it somewhere. I gave a resigned sigh as I opened the door, but a smile engulfed my face overtaking the frown when I saw my boyfriend standing in the doorway.

"Hi Jack."

"Hi," he returned, leaning in for a kiss. His lips were soft and teasing and gone too soon. I crooked my finger at him when he pulled back and he gave a laugh returning to kiss me again. My toes curled in pleasure and all I could think was that he definitely knew how to kiss.

"What's going on?" I wondered as he moved away and took my hand to tug me from the room. "Jack what are you doing?"

He kissed my forehead. "Do I need an excuse to see my very beautiful girlfriend?" I narrowed my eyes at the 'beautiful' part but shook my head anyway. He tapped his finger against my nose and continued, "Good. Now stop complaining and follow me."

Outside my door there was a pile of blankets, he picked it up and tucked it under an arm, firmly keeping his hold on my hand as we boarded the elevator. I thought we were going out but I wasn't even wearing shoes and he only he pushed to button to the roof. My brows pulled together in confusion, but I remained silent. I didn't like surprises, Jack did and so far none of his surprises left me cringing in a corner.

When the doors opened he tugged me along, the night's air crisp, biting at my exposed skin. We made our way over to a solitary lawn chair, which was oddly placed in the middle of the lonely space. Jack sat, drawing me into his lap and wrapping the blanket around our bodies. I studied the lights of the buildings fanned out all around us like a million stars shining just for us.

"You know, I've lived here for more than three years and I've never once been up on the roof."

"I used to come up here a lot when I first moved here from England. It was my own little escape. I can't remember the last time I was up here."

"Well I'm honored that you decided to share it with me."

I felt his laugh vibrate against the side of my body and warmth spread through me as I laced my fingers with his and we fell into a companiable silence.  I studied our merged fingers,  his fingers were almost twice the size of mine. He had beautiful hands - if it wasn't weird of me to think so - with long fingers and a solid palm. Somehow I knew that no matter what, if I kept hold of his hand he would never let me fall.

"I was thinking," he started quietly and I had to stop my mind from wandering immediately to the worst. "How would you feel about maybe, I don't know, moving in together when we graduate?"

I knew he felt me stiffen, but I couldn't be helped. Slowly I moved out of his embrace to look at him. "What?" I croaked.

His smile was hesitant but he nodded running his fingers through his hair.  "I've been thinking about it for a while now. I mean we have applied to some of the same universities and if we get accepted, together; moving in wouldn't be a bad idea."

I studied him unsure of what to say. Did I want to move in with him? It surprised me really, but I hadn't thought about us past graduation and the fact that I hadn't really thought about it made me uncomfortable. An immediate no rushed to my lips but I quelled it because a yes was currently bubbling in my brain. I had plans, solid ones, but they weren't set in stone. They could always change, right?