Chapter 20

I was happy. Or as happy as I could ever remember being since my dad died. Sara was off in her new love bliss at least until it ended and I would have to pick her up, but I didn't much think about it. If I did I might have lost some of that happiness.

So much of my happiness was because of Jack that if I thought about it too much I would have probably freaked out, so it was for that reason alone that I didn't much think about it. Erin was spending some time with Scooter after his awesome apology that had half the women in the city sighing in envy and Jack was off doing errands for his brother.

To say the least, I missed him.

I lazily drummed my pen on the paper of the open notebook in front of me as I lay on my bed. My gaze pulled to the phone at my elbow. No one had called or even texted me all day. And I know that I wasn't a big fan of people in general but there were at least two that I really wanted to hear from.

The doorbell rang and I hopped off the bed and padded towards the door. I was odd, the quiet that surrounded me. I used to crave the time alone, to be by myself, but now that silence seemed deafening and lonely.

Pulling open the door I frowned. There was no one there. I poked my head out of the apartment and peered up and the down it corridor. It was empty. With a shrug I went to close the door when something on the ground caught my eye. It was a small white envelope with my name on it that sat next to a single red rose.

Bending, I picked it up. Rising I inhaled the sweet fragrance of the rose. Opening the envelope I found a single card with a single sentence scrawled on it.

Be ready at six. Jack

I flipped the card over studying it for a full minute a frown pulling between my brows. What exactly did that mean? I peered into the hall again, but it was still empty. Cantering into my bedroom I gently lay the rose on the side table along with the card and picked up my phone. I think I needed an explanation. It rang out and went to voice mail and I pursed my lips.

Picking back up the card I fell unto my bed and holding it above me studying it again. A small smile tugged at my lips. I angled my head to the clock, I had two and a half hours to get ready. Now my problem was what exactly was I supposed to wear.

I stood in front of my closet tapping my finger on my chin. He said that I needed to be ready at six. Ready for what exactly? This was another reason that I didn't like surprises. How were you expected to fully prepare for it if you didn't even know what you were going to do. Was this something formal? Or could I get by just fine in a jeans and t-shirt? I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. Maybe I should try calling him again and try to get some more information from him.

"How did I know you'd be like that," said a voice from behind me.

I whirled around with a scream pressing my hand to the now rapid beat of my heart. "Erin," I breathed "You scared me. What are you doing here? How did you even get in?"

She shrugged lightly and I attempted to slide my heart back into place from where it had lodged itself in my throat. "Because I'm a ninja," she smiled. I wasn't much amused, she nearly gave me a heart attack "The front door was open, and before you get too annoyed, I come baring gifts."

She gingerly placed a shopping bag before me and fell unto my bed. Where did that even come from? I swear shopping was like her superpower. With folded arms I made my way to her and peered into the bag. And of course it was a dress. I took out the dress and held it up to my body because who was I kidding, it was a dress but I still liked getting presents.