Epilogue

I lifted the pillows on the couch and sighed when I couldn't find the keys to my car. I wasn't usually forgetful but we were still in the process of moving out of our small apartment into a larger space that it was easy to misplace things. So frustratingly easy. I stood upright and huffed out my breath.

I turned back to the kitchen and called out to my fiancé. I was so weird to think about him like that. He walked out of our bedroom a crooked smile in place. My eyes studied him hungrily. His hair had grown long again and was pulled back from his face into a bun; I think liked it this way, just a little. His intense blue green eyes were looking at me, needless to say that in the six years that we had been together my reaction to him hadn't slowed. My heart still stuttered when I saw him

He sauntered over to me, my keys dangling from his fingers. "Where did you find them?" I said reaching for them.

He held them higher. "In the bathroom."

Each time I reached to get them he would stretch higher so I couldn't reach. "Jack!" I cried. "I'll be late."

He dropped the keys on the counter bringing his arms around me. We'd moved back here almost two years ago after we both had finished with college. It wasn't easy and sometimes we fought a lot but there was one thing that had never changed, how much I loved him.

"Headed to meet Erin?" I nodded hooking my fingers in the loops of his jeans. He smoothed his hands through my hair to rest them on my hips. "She does know that Zach is back in town right?"

I nodded. It was still odd to me that Scooter was no longer going by Scooter. He had taken over his father's very successful business which was not the place I had pictured him when we were in high school. Since he'd moved back almost a year ago he and Jack had reconnected. I couldn't be mad at him for that, they were friends, had been friends and I didn't want to make him feel any kind of pressure from me because Zach had broken my best friend's heart.

"It's been almost four years since they broke up. I don't think that it'll be a problem."

I tried to sound convincing but I knew for a fact that since then, even if she hadn't said anything to me, Erin was still in love with him. He obviously didn't believe me. He had been there when she was so completely broken and sad that she'd spent a entire week in her dorm room hiding away from the world.

"Your mom says that she's bringing dinner over tonight," he said instead changing the subject.

"How is it that she tells you those things and not me?"

"She likes me better."

I laughed. He wasn't wrong. Mom and Jack had grown close over the last few years that it made me happy. She too had been the happiest that I had seen he in years. She was in a stable relationship with a nice guy who I genuinely thought was good for her. He loved her, that much was clear and I could tell that even if she wanted to move slow she loved him too.

It had been the sweetest thing when he had looked for my approval before they had moved in together asking me if I would be okay with it. I was. Mom took a lot more convincing but eventually caved. I was happy for her.

"Jamie's coming over to with Sandy and Edward," he continued. I let out a little squeak. I hadn't spent much time with my future brother-in-law, his wife and their one year old son in a while. It made me think of a time when we too would have a little family of our own. "Why don't I call your mom and ask to make it a family dinner and a welcome home thing for Erin as well?

I tipped my head and looked up at him. "Have I told you that I loved you today?"

He shrugged pulling me closer. "A guy can never hear it to much," he grinned kissing the tip of my nose. "Especially coming from the girl that he loves."

I didn't say it, instead I kissed him. Deep and slow in a way that made me forget the time as I sank myself in the taste of him.