Chapter 12

Home. I didn't think I'd miss coming back here in a hurry. But after staying overnight in the hospital - did I mention I hated the hospital, they held bad memories - I had returned home with a helicopter parent in the form of a very protective Erin.

"Becca? Oh my God Becca, where have you been?" Sara sounded worried as she barreled into the living room.

"I was in the hospital," Erin and I stood watching her confused "Did you not get any of my messages or Erin's phone calls?"

"My phone broke. Why were you in the hospital?"

"How did you break your phone?" I asked evading the question and Erin motioned to me that she was going into my room. I nodded and moved to sit with Sara on the couch.

"I went to see Damon." That I knew, it was the main cause of my breakdown, "And he's all apologizing to me because of what happened that night, saying that he was going to change. I just wanted to believe him you know. But then I realized that he wouldn't. You didn't know this but we were fighting all the time. It wasn't the first time he acted like that, I hid it from you because I knew that.... but just couldn't take it anymore. I left and, I, I just thought he was different," she sniffled.

That still didn't really explain to me how she broke her phone though, "I'm sorry mom."

Not that I was sorry for her breaking up with the creep, I was just sorry that she had her heart broken, again even if her choices weren't the wisest and her taste in men was the worst. She at least put herself out there, I push new people away - sometimes I envied that about her - but that carefree attitude was just too, in my mind, dangerous to have. People hurt you even without meaning to or sometimes they do mean to. Like what I did to Jack.

"Anyway I have a call today, but you just came home from the hospital. I'll just cancel."

"No mom, it's okay really. It wasn't anything serious and besides Erin is staying with me tonight."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. I didn't want her hovering. While it warmed my heart that she cared, I just needed to be without her for a while and if I had to deal with an overbearing someone I'd rather it was Erin. I could see the reluctance in her face but she eventually left and I went to see what Erin was up to.

"Have you spoken to him since the hospital?" asked Erin when I entered the room, her back was turned to me as she looked out of the sole window in the room.

She was with me the hours after he had left where I told her everything that had happened between us. She was patient and listened but then told he I was really stupid and mean for saying all that stuff to him. The only thing she ever sugarcoated was dessert. I agreed with her, I shouldn't have said those things to him, mostly because they weren't true.

I shook my head, crawling on the bed and laying on the pillow. Erin moved to stand at the foot of the bed, pulling her hair into a ponytail, "You know you could go an apologize to him."

"I did already."

"Well," she climbed unto my bed next to me and leaned against the headboard "Apologize again. This time when you're not juiced up on meds."

I pushed myself up and looped my hand in hers, putting my head on her shoulder "It's better this way. I mean what did I think was going to happen between us anyway, he was going to... We are too different to - it doesn't even matter."

"You know that doesn't sound like a very convincing argument," I smiled sadly. It really didn't, but in truth I didn't know what I wanted to be to Jack, or what he was supposed to be to me; having feelings were confusing especially when you weren't sure what to do with them. "At least you still have me."