Chapter 19

"I'll see you after class," promised Jack as he kissed me on my cheek. I leaned into him and closed my eyes before I nodded and smiled. He untangled our laced fingers before he walked away, my eyes trailing him as he left. It still amazed me that out of everyone he liked me, he chose me.

The change from friendship to something more happened so easily for him. It was still a little weird to me. He was comfortable with his easy touches and frequent kisses. And while it all left me breathless, I was feeling a little uneasy about all of this. He was wonderful and being with him was amazing but there was a lingering doubt in the back of my mind. A lingering voice that was hard to ignore.

"Okay what's with the look." I turned to find Erin standing behind me, her hair in a high tail atop her head, her arms hugging tightly to her books.

"What look? I don't have a look."

"That look," she countered pointing a manicured finger towards my face. "What's wrong?"

Why did she all of a sudden think that there was something wrong? I shook my head and straightened my spine. "Nothing."

"You know you might as well just tell me," she said looping her hand into mine as we both walked into the classroom "'Cause I'll just annoy you until you do." I sighed. "Are there problems between you and Jack?"

I shook my head as we took our seats. We never sat in the back, but we weren't big on sitting up front either, so we always took the desks somewhere in the middle. I placed my books on top of the table and faced to where she sat opposite me. "No, but that may be the problem. Everything's great."

"And that would be a problem why?"

"It's just that things are good. Too good. How long will they remain like that and what happens to us when it isn't good anymore?"

"Bec, you're focusing too much on what if's. You and Jack have a good thing, he makes you happy. I can see it and you know it too. So stop thinking about the bad things that could happen, because bad things will happen, eventually. Just enjoy the moment."

I nodded. She was right. I was letting my fears come in-between us. So far all I had been focused on was the fact that all of this could potentially end up terrible I wasn't focusing on the fact that things were great. Erin was like my own personal Yoda.

*        *        *        *       *        *

"My boyfriend is an idiot!" Erin announced loudly as she entered the store surrounded my a cloud of unhappiness, the door banging behind her.

"Okay," I answered confused unsure if she was specifically talking to me or just making a general announcement "Why is he an idiot?"

She huffed out her breath angrily. Erin was so bubbly all the time that sometimes I forgot that when she got angry it was like a scene from a Stephen King novel. "Because he's just so damn clueless, that's why."

"What happened?"

"After his practice today I was waiting at the bleachers for him right. And I saw him, with Whitney Cromwell. Of all people her? And she was hanging all over him. I mean she was three seconds away from licking the sweat off his face." Whitney Cromwell was cheer-leading captain and had systematically slept with the entire football team and now, apparently had her sights set on Scooter. "And then he just stands there all calm like the bobble-head of a girl wasn't just holding onto his bicep giggling like an idiot, and I know for a fact that he isn't even that funny."

"Don't you think that you're overreacting a little?"

"No!" she exploded "I'm not. I know exactly what she wants from him with her tight pants and perfect hair. And what if he decides that I'm not enough for him anymore and takes her up on what shes offering him?"