Chapter 6

I stood staring at the open door gnawing on my lower lip. I was being sort of silly. I mean as far as I knew Jack wasn't a serial killer that was going to behead me and shove me in the trunk of his car and he wasn't exactly crazy - though that was debatable point. Here he was offering me a ride directly to school, the practical thing to do would be to accept. Yet still I wasn't sure I wanted to. 

Shaking my head at my own decisiveness I entered the car, this was only a one time thing anyway and I hated being late. 

The dark interior was clean and well kept and smelt like a combination of Jack and leather. I inwardly frowned as he pulled away from the curb. What was this fascination I had with the way he smelt? I wasn't a freaking dog.

My gaze drifted to him and I couldn't help but notice the way his hair curled around his shoulders and the way his muscles flexed every time he turned the staring wheel. He was wearing a dark t-shirt that had me wondering if he owned anything with colour. 

If he noticed my gaze he said nothing and neither did I, only the sound of the radio humming between us. Tearing my gaze away from him and for lack of a better thing to do that wouldn't require looking at him I took out my tablet and began going through my planner for the second time that morning. 

I didn't have much of a packed week which was a relief. I'd have to cover Erin's shift at the Shop this evening, she had to baby sit the twins. I needed to catch up on some much needed sleep and quite possibly do something about my now frequent headaches. 

Waiting until Sunday to see Phil was driving me a little insane - like going to a therapist didn't make me seem a little insane already. My thoughts now drifting to Sara and 'Boyfriend who looks like a Creep' getting back together. That definitely needed to be talked about. She never got back together with them when they left, never. Would this be a new pattern? 

God, I hope not. I didn't think my fragile mental stability could handle that.

"So I went over your list," Jack retorted after a while pulling me from my thoughts

I looked up at him, those blue-green eyes of his like the depths of the ocean drawing me in. A person could just drown in those eyes. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," he repeated nodding dividing his gaze between me and the road "I was thinking that Jane Austen is a good one to do. But you know we could try J.K Rowling, Harry Potter is huge or J.R.R Tolkien I mean The Hobbit was so cool."

I smiled and glanced at him. He was smiling giving life to those dimples in his cheeks. Jack O'Connor like Harry Potter and the Hobbit. "We could consider it, but how exactly did their work influence modern literature?"

He shrugged "Just a thought." 

I nodded filling it into a note adding a reminder to ask Mr. Sykes about that. I wouldn't mind doing Harry Potter, being a huge Potterhead, but how did that influence modern day literature considering it was technically modern day literature.

"So, do you um, plan everything?" he pointed to the device in my hands. 

I shrugged lightly holding the tablet protectively on my lap "Yeah. I guess I do. I don't much like surprises."

"Hmm," was all he said, his focus once again going back to the road. 

I was going to leave it alone, I told myself to leave it alone, but that one sound irked me. There was a note of judgment in it - although I may have imagined it - but I couldn't just let it go even if I knew I probably should have. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I didn't say anything."

"Then why did you make that sound? 'Hmm'"

"Becca I --"

"Just say it"

He opened his mouth only to close it again without saying anything, but then he stared again "I don't think that you can really plan for everything, even if you do try - mostly because things change without warning; and trying to control everything is kind of boring. I mean surprises are what keeps life interesting."

"Boring," I breathed with a bitter smile on my face "Yeah, maybe I am boring."

"I didn't mean you," he defended 

"No it's alright. I know that I'm boring, but you know what I have responsibilities, ones that I take seriously. Ones that are not going to go away because they're boring. So having fun is not exactly high on my to-do list right now," we were pulling into the school's parking lot and relief coursed through me, the beginnings of a headache forming behind my eyeslids "And you know what surprises may keep life interesting but in my experience most of those surprises change your life and leave you with scars that hurt you."

"I didn't mean to make sound like that," his eyes softened his hand reaching out to mine "Hey, I'm sorry."

"It's whatever," I answered pulling away from him and blinking furiously trying to stop the tears that burned in my throat. Wrenching open the door I gave him a cold expression thanking him for the ride but there was no gratitude in my voice.

Getting out of the car and slamming his door shut I rubbed the heel of my hand against my heart where a crippling pain threatened to emerge. I wouldn't let it. I shoved the emotion and memories back down, not willing to let it break free as I hurried across the crowded car-park. Taking a ride from Jack was a huge mistake. I would rather have been late than have to think about the past.  

****************************************************************

Hey Guys!

Sorry about the short Chapter.

 I'm not fully satisfied with it but I suppose it'll get better in the editing process - which comes when it's completed. How do you guys feel about it?

The next one will be better I Promise and it may or may not be an Early Update. 

Don't forget to Comment and Vote!

Jen