01

Hermione laughed softly to herself as she looked out the window at the first years playing in the snow

Hermione laughed softly to herself as she looked out the window at the first years playing in the snow. They were so carefree and young. She wished she could join them, but instead she had to be on weekly Heads' duty with the slimy blond ferret next to her.

"What are you laughing about?" Draco Malfoy snapped.

Under other circumstances, Hermione would have glared at him and shot back a witty response, but she was in an especially good mood.

"Look at the first years building snowmen! Aren't they just a joy to watch?" She gritted her teeth and grinned sarcastically at him.

"Outside?! It's 7 at night! They should be inside! I'm going to bring them in now!"

"Oh, shush! They have until 8 o'clock to get back in and I'm sure they are aware of it. Don't be so uptight."

The Head Boy stopped walking and swiveled back to look at Hermione. "Well well well. Would you look at that! Hermione Granger, nitpicker extraordinaire, telling me to be less uptight! I'll have you know that I'm simply caring for their safety. Plus, what's the point in playing in the cold? I've never wanted to."

"Would you shut up, just let them be! Just because you've never been happy in your pathetic life doesn't mean that you can stop others from it!"

He snarled and looked as if he was trying to spike her to death with his eyes. "I am very happy the way I am, though I suppose I will be even happier if I wasn't stuck with you for the rest of the year!"

She was positive that flames were coming out of her ears, she was so infuriated. Why couldn't Malfoy just stick his snotty nose up his-

"Ms. Granger! Mr. Malfoy! I believe you should be doing your rounds, not arguing! For the last time, when will you two learn to get along? If this keeps up, I will have to remove both of your titles!" Headmistress McGonagall marched down the hallway, robes swishing behind her. "There are duties that come with being Head Girl and Boy, and there is a good reason I appointed the two of you. Learn to take care of your responsibilities, and I expect the two of you to apologize to each other!"  And with that, she walked past them as if in a great rush.

Without a glance back at Draco, Hermione turned on her heels and went straight towards Gryffindor Tower. She heard Draco shuffling his papers, sigh, and trot to catch up with her.

"You are the most hot-headed person I've ever met; who yells at someone for simply stating their opinion?!" He huffed once the professor was out of earshot.

"And you are the most arrogant, selfish little prick to walk the face of this earth." She retorted without breaking her stride.

"How dare you call me, a Malfoy, a prick?! I am the highest among wizards, the best of-"

His sentence was cut short when a sudden silence surrounded them. The two of them had walked straight into the Gryffindor common rooms, where though Draco was Head Boy and therefore allowed in, it was still not a regular occurrence.

Harry Potter cleared his throat from near the fireplace, unsure of what to do. Hermione, in a vain attempt to make things less awkward, shoved Draco out the entrance and continued taking role. The entire common room burst into laughter as Malfoy was heard yelling at the Fat Lady to let him in, " I am Head Boy! How dare you disrespect me! I am doing my job!"

Hermione smiled and ducked her head. He certainly was a source of entertainment at times, though he was still extremely annoying.

A/N
Thank you for reading the first chapter of Peculiarity of Love! I know that this chapter is quite boring, but I swear that it gets better. This is my first fanfiction, and I feel like a proud mother of a newborn child. Please don't forget to vote and leave any suggestions, helpful criticism, and weird animal facts in the comments! I love you all! ~Pandora