16

Hermione smiled at the scene around her

Hermione smiled at the scene around her. She was floating a little above the field, watching for any accidents and in a place where she could quickly reach anyone who fell. Happiness surrounded her and for the first time since the war, she felt content and warm, despite the cold air. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath just as someone whooshed past her, knocking her off her broom.
Draco was in the Keeper position and happily enjoying the casual game when he saw a falling figure out of the corner of his eye. He barely registered himself lurching forward and up, wrapping his arms around the person. The extra weight made the old broom he was on snap straight in half, and soon found himself hurdling towards the ground. So this is how I die. He looked at the cold body he was holding and nearly had a heart attack. I won't let her die. I can't. He hugged Hermione tighter to him, angling himself to land underneath her, hopefully cushioning her fall. He closed his eyes and barely heard the faint spell whispered.
Am I dead yet? Am I in Hell? He opened one eye carefully, discombobulated. Alas, he was still in the Quidditch field, hovering inches above the ground. The spell wore off and they landed with an thud. Draco pulled Hermione upright, shaking her.
"Granger? Granger! I swear, if you're dead..."
"I'm fine! Malfoy, stop shaking me! I'm fine!" She grabbed at his arms, reassuring him.
McGonagall jumped off her broom and landed directly next to them, eyes full of worry. "Are you alright? How did it happen? Oh, I knew I should have stopped this!" She hugged both of them tightly, inspecting them to make sure there weren't any injuries.
"It's okay! We aren't hurt!"
"If Granger hadn't cast that spell..."
"If Malfoy hadn't caught me..."
"You are both going to the Infirmary this instant! I don't care that you aren't hurt, you both need rest! Go!" The Headmistress shoved them towards the exit.
They walked in complete silence until a broom fell out of the air and was inches from giving Draco a nice concussion. Luckily, it landed on the ground before them. He picked up his slightly battered broom and looked it over before handing it to a student who wasn't playing. She was overjoyed and thanked him before zipping into the air.
They resumed their walk of silence until Hermione coughed.
"Hey, thanks for that." She didn't look at him as she spoke, eyes downcast and hands in front of her.
"I'm glad I did it." Draco noticed her ears turn red and the small grin she tried to suppress.
"Did you know that I'm terrified of heights?"
"What?! Then why did you want to join the game?"
"So you would too." The last sentence came out in a whisper, but the words rang through his head. She wanted me.
Draco nodded and kept walking, fighting the urge to jump in the air in celebration. He looked ahead and knocked on the door of the infirmary. As expected, Madame Pomfrey was still asleep and a House-Elf let them in. They had to explain that they weren't hurt in any way and were sent off to get some rest.
The silence rested upon them again, and neither made eye contact, though each snuck a glance at the other from time to time. The Tower was deserted, everyone being at the Quidditch Field.
Hermione knew that she wouldn't be able to sleep, so she took a seat in a window bench. She watched the Quidditch match go on and smiled. Draco headed to the stairs as if he was going to his room, but stopped and watched her. The sunrise illuminated her face and gave her a soft glow, making her seem like a perfect painting. Her smile shone brighter than the sun, and he wondered why he had never noticed it in the way he did now. In that moment, Draco felt a different rhythm work its way into his heart and embed itself into his soul. One word echoed through his mind. Hermione.