09

"Don't think I've forgiven you for throwing that snowball at me, Ron

"Don't think I've forgiven you for throwing that snowball at me, Ron." Hermione wrung her hair out, which was still wet from the snow.
"I was aiming for Malfoy!" Ron replied, though the words were muffled from him stuffing food in his mouth.
The Great Hall was now fully decorated with Christmas decorations, though it was only December 4th. Soon, it would be winter break. Hermione wasn't sure if she could stay with her parents during that time. It would be too awkward to not have them remember anything about her during Christmas. She still was planning to do something special for them though.
"It was nice of him to join us today. He's not as bad as he was a few years ago." Ron said, mouth clear of food this time.
"Yeah, he really surprised my today. I never thought he'd want to even speak to us, much less have a snowball fight!" Hermione secretly wished that Draco was like that all the time.
"He's quite nice, actually. I think he's really grown up this year." Harry added.
"Don't tell me you've all fallen in love with Malfoy!" Ginny laughed as she sat between Harry and Ron.
" 'Course not, he's Malfoy!" Ron pretended to gag. Everyone laughed.
It was a start for a better year.

Later, Head Dormitories

As Draco walked into the Head a Common Room, he was met with sudden quiet. Everyone was staring at him, most with silly grins on their faces.
"What? Is there something on my face?" He felt extremely uncomfortable with all the eyes on him.
No one said anything. Did I do something wrong? This is very odd.
"Is anyone going to answer me? What's your problem?" This time, a few giggles were heard.
What the fuck is going on?
Draco shrugged and went upstairs. They were probably wondering what McGonagall said to him earlier that day. He went to lounge on the sofa, already relaxing for the weekend. He noticed a letter with familiar handwriting on it. From mum? There must've been an emergency, she rarely ever wrote to him.

           Dearest Draco,
I hope your days at school are going well. I am writing to inform you that tomorrow your father and I will be moving away from the Manor for our safety and yours. There is still suspicion going around having to do with former Death Eaters. The Ministry investigated the estate a few days ago, and we have decided that it is no longer safe to stay in the public eye. With this comes the worst news of all; we cannot risk your life with you coming home for Christmas. I know things have been very difficult for you at school, but Hogwarts is the safest place for you to be.
Though the family may never be joined together at Malfoy Manor again, it will legally be your property when the time comes, and I trust that you will use it well. I will continue to send information on our well being.
I hope to see you very soon, darling. We are both so proud of you, and I love you with all my heart has to offer. Please write back.

               Much love,
                   Mummy

Draco felt empty. Though Christmas has never been the greatest part of the year for his family, it would be the second year in a row in which he hasn't been home for Christmas. The war consumed too much of everyone's time last year, and he was hoping that this year would be different. This was the price he and his poor mother had to pay for his stupid father wanting power. He remembered how he cared about his wealth and status so much that he would be gone for months at a time, and when he was back his mother told Draco to hide; she never thought that he could hear every foul word his father shouted at her, her sobs for him to stop. Lucius only ever cared about himself, was too afraid to protect his family, and Draco swore that he would never become like his father. His pent up emotions broke the barrier and he hurled the closest thing to him against a wall.
A yelp was heard from the doorway. He hadn't notice Hermione arrive. Draco ignored her, sitting down and putting his head in his hands.
"Malfoy? Are you alright?" Her voice was confused, worried.
He didn't have the energy to respond, so he shook his head. He hoped that she would get the message and leave him be. Obviously, she didn't.
He could hear he drop her things and shuffle over to where he sat.
"Are you not feeling well? What can I do to help?"
He wanted to scream at her, tell her that there wasn't anything she understood, but he wasn't going to stoop down to Lucius' level.
"Leave."
He could tell she was hesitant, but she did leave. The moment he heard her close the door to her room, he ripped his left sleeve up. The wicked, horrible black tattoo of the serpent through a skull stood out against his pale skin. He has never loathed himself more in his life.