18

"There is no way in hell I'm wearing that

"There is no way in hell I'm wearing that."
"I swear by the ghost of Merlin, Malfoy. It's for pictures!" Hermione tried to wrestle a pair of felt dear antlers onto the blonde in front of her. He took off running and she was forced to chase him down.
"Petrificus totalus!" Draco dropped to the ground, a look of shock on his face. She placed the antlers on his head and charmed it in place, just for good measure. They were taking the Holiday pictures today, and she wasn't going to let him be the only one not wearing any festive garb.
"You cheater." He sat up, tugging at the costume.
"I know." She was wearing her own set of dear antlers and the ugliest Christmas jumper she could find.
They joined the others just outside the front entrance of the school, where floating lanterns hung in the air and illuminated the light snow falling. The moon shone bright in the sky. A stout photographer was placing the students so that everyone could be seen.
"You two! Stand next to the miss with the blue jumper," Hermione looked behind her, not sure if he was addressing her and Draco. "Yes, you! The couple in the antlers! Over here."
A fierce blush spread across her face, but she obliged, with Draco trailing after her.
"Is everyone here? Good, good. One, two, three, smile!" The lights flashed and Hermione was sure she blinked.
"Don't move! That one wasn't any good. You're all standing as if you don't know each other," McGonagall shook her head. "Get together, look like you're having fun!" She walked around, completely changing what the photographer had planned and getting people to look more comfortable. The headmistress stood before Draco and Hermione, hands on her hips.
"You're literally four feet away from each other! Get close!" She actually pushed them together before nodding and stalking off to another victim.
"Can't imagine why he would think we're a couple." Draco gestured to the matching head gear, now only a few inches away.
"It must be the spectacular chemistry we have." She rolled her eyes at him.
He chuckled and dramatically yawned and put his arm up and over her shoulders. She punched him lightly.
"Stop that, people might think!" On the inside, she was skipping and throwing flowers.
"Oh how easily you dismiss our love." He joked and mockingly pulled her even closer. The camera clicked right as Hermione was laughing at him.
"Oh no! I wasn't looking at the camera!" Hermione stepped away from Draco, trying to avoid the stares. McGonagall seemed to approve, however, so they were all sent back inside. She walked the halls, very aware of the blond Slytherin walking next to her.
"Are they together now? What did I miss?" A girl spoke a little too loudly and was shushed by all of her friends. A little smile twitched on Hermione's lips, but she coughed and straightened herself. She advanced to the library, looking for a good book to keep her occupied, and was surprised that Draco still walked with her. She looked through the catalogs and he sat near her in a sofa.
"Granger."
She didn't look up, just tilting her head to address her name.
"Do you pity me?"
She took a moment to think about the question. "Yes. I pity how people view you inaccurately and judge you based on your upbringing."
"And do you agree with them?"
Hermione stopped where she was and looked at him directly. "I agree that your past decisions can never be forgiven, yet the man you are now defies every idea set upon you. You told me that you've changed, and I hope it is true."
Draco's expression was unreadable. He sat with one leg crossed over the other and his head resting on his hand. What is going through his head right now?
Neither one of them said anything for what seemed like hours until Draco jumped up and grabbed hold of her hands, making her jump.
"I don't expect for you to forgive me for everything I did. I can't use my father or fear as an excuse, but I can say this: every breath that I take reminds me that so many who could be doing the same aren't because of me," Draco's words were spoken firmly and with emotion. "I used to believe that I was the most supreme of all wizards, but I know now that I had stooped to the lowest I could. I didn't know the way of the world and was ignorant in my beliefs. I hate myself for the pain I caused you and I would endure that pain ten times over to undo what I caused. Please, Hermione, tell me that you understand."
She wanted to cry for him, to tell him that nothing was of his doing, but her sensible side told her that Voldemort couldn't have been in so much power had it not been for the Malfoys. How could she know that he wasn't aware of everything he did all that time? Was he really blind of his actions until last year? The doubts went on, yet Draco spoke with such sincerity and agony in his voice that she couldn't deny he was telling the truth.
She stared into the eyes of the man clutching her and glimpsed into his soul; a soul that had mountains of blame thrust upon it, a soul that lifted the mountains with dread, the soul that matched her own unsteady pattern.
"I do."