22

Dear Hermione,

Dear Hermione,

We're terribly sorry that we couldn't get this letter to you on time. It really is difficult finding a tame magical owl. We're writing to ask why you haven't come home for Christmas, and if there was an emergency, why you didn't write to us.
We talked to Harry at King's Cross, and he said that you would be staying at school for your duties. Your mother and I both know that your role at the school is extremely important, but you deserve a break from it. However, we also talked to Ron, and he mentioned another boy; I think his name was Dragon or something of the sort. Your mother and I could have sworn that we remember you ranting about such a boy in your younger years. I want a thorough description of this young man, so write back immediately!
We love you, please come home,
Pops and Mum

Hermione felt a weight lift off her chest; a weight that she didn't know was there until it was gone. I can go home! She reread the letter, just to make sure she wasn't mistaken. Oh, Damnit Ronald. How am I going to explain Draco?
She sat at her desk, quill in hand. She wrote:

Dear Mum and Pops,

I'm sorry that I didn't write to inform of my stay. The school has been chaotic this year and the Headmistress wanted us to take care of everyone. And by 'us', I do mean Draco and I. He is my coworker this year; him being Head Boy and I Head Girl. He is a spoiled, egotistical, rich ferrety Pureblood who has never not gotten something he's wanted; he's charming, protective, and I should hate him. He bullied me endlessly during our first few years at Hogwarts, but he's changed this past year. He comes from a long line of Dark wizards and was pushed to be one as well, yet he despises them and wants to be nothing like them. He hasn't told me the exact reason, but his family seems to have not welcomed him back.
I hope to explain more when I come home. I will arrange immediately for me to leave as soon as possible.
Love,
Hermione

Meanwhile, Draco had also received a letter. A small, crumpled letter that was stained with tears.

Dearest Draco,

Your father is in Azkaban. I've been told not to tell you; keep quiet. I will be safe in hiding with Andromeda. Don't come for us, it's too dangerous.

I love you,
Mummy

He wasn't surprised, but he should have seen it coming. He should have done more to protect them, to stop what was happening. Draco folded the letter neatly and tucked it into a box, where he wouldn't have to see it. He took a shaky breath and closed his eyes, pushing away the haunting memories.

                                                               The Three Broomsticks, one hour later

Hermione tapped her foot impatiently. They were supposed to be here 5 minutes ago! She had arranged for a quick get-together with Harry, Ron, and Ginny, but they were very late. Or maybe I'm just early. She sipped from her mug of Butterbeer and looked out the window at the light snow floating down to the ground.
With a loud pop, Harry apparate into the pub and Ginny followed soon after.
"Hermione! How's your break been going?" Ginny hugged her friend.
"Marvelous! And you?"
"Not bad, though my prat of a brother decided to stay home because it was 'cold' outside."
"We tried to convince him, we really did! He just wasn't in a good mood today." Harry added, ignoring the attention he drew just by being in the room.
Hermione felt somewhat sad that he wasn't coming to see her, but she understood. "Oh, that's the typical Ron, now isn't it. I have to admit though, today may have been the coldest day of the year!"
They nodded in agreement as the waiter came to get their orders. Hermione almost laughed aloud at how he was staring at them with wide eyes, undoubtedly because he was serving the Boy Who Lived.
"So, you didn't invite Malfoy along?" Ginny stirred her drink casually, grinning.
Hermione nearly choked on her drink. "I'm sorry, what?" Play it cool, Hermione. It's cool, she can't possibly know about you and Draco.
"You know what I mean! I've seen the way you look at him."
Hermione acted as if she was confused, and one look at Harry meant that he was too, though doing a poor job at suppressing his laughter.
"There's no way I look at him with any emotion! What do you think I am, desperate?!"
"Alright, fine!" Ginny sipped her hot chocolate, eyeing her over the rim of the mug.
They chatted about their plans for the holiday and how Hermione may be going home later that week. She avoided talking about anything that was even barely linked to Draco; she couldn't risk accidentally letting anything slip.
The sun was falling slowly towards the horizon, and Hermione knew that she should get back before dark.
"We should all get going. It was great seeing you!"
They got ready to leave, but Harry pulled her aside. "You go ahead, Ginny, I'll meet you back home."
"Harry? You alright?"
"Hermione, spill it. I know that you're hiding something." He crossed his arms. "I'm not leaving until you tell."
She stared at him. Was this the Harry that she knew? The Harry that barely noticed the simplest of details for as long as she could remember? How do I say this? How can I say this?
"I- I don't know what you're talking about."
"I knew it. You're in love with Malfoy."
"How in hell did you piece that together?! I haven't told a soul; how is it that you found out before anyone else?!" She threw her hands in the air in defeat.
"I didn't."
"What?"
"I didn't know that you loved him. I suggested it and you told me. It's a classic trick, didn't think you'd fall for it."
Hermione stood with her jaw hanging open. Harry Potter did not just outwit her.
"You little bastard." She smacked her forehead, not believing she had just told him.
"I mean, it was obvious! You've been laughing more, you seem to be less stressed, you have a twinkle in your eye."
"My eyes do not 'twinkle'."
"They do now."
She sighed heavily and put her head in her hands. "Is it that obvious?"
"A bit. I can't blame you though, Malfoy is very pretty."
Hermione's head shot up. "What?!"
"Oh, look at the time, I have to go! Bye, Hermione, Happy Christmas!"
"HARRY JAMES POTTER! I SWEAR, IF YOU TELL RON I WILL CUT YOUR BALLS OFF."
He grinned and disapparated, leaving Hermione sitting by herself. Damnit.
"Excuse me, Ms. Granger? I'm so sorry to bother you, but could I have your autograph?" The waiter was eagerly holding out a book and a quill.
"Of course!" Yet another reason to be annoyed with Harry; he brought fame with him everywhere he went, the little shit.
She gathered her belongings and stepped outside, where the snow was falling heavier than it was just a few minutes ago. She pulled her jacket tighter around herself and trudged up the path to Hogwarts.