04

Head Tower was a spectacular area of the castle

Head Tower was a spectacular area of the castle. The tall ceiling and windows reminded her of the cabin she and her family went to when she was little. Her family. It was long and tedious work to get her parents' memories back, she had to make extra time to go visit them every month or so, but she remembered that it was all for their safety, and that kept her going. Besides, it wasn't an impossible feat. She guessed that by the end of the year their memories would be fully restored.
She muttered the password and gained entrance to the main area of the Tower. She was greeted by a few Prefects who were up studying and Crookshanks, who rubbed between her legs. She picked him up and walked upstairs to the area that she shared with Draco, unfortunately.
As she got up to the second landing, she was surprised to find the door open to their dormitories. She normally requested for Draco to close the doors so that other's pets wouldn't get inside. She walked in and saw Malfoy sprawled on the couch with his nose in a book. He never reads! Even more shockingly, he had a pair of gold rimmed reading glasses perched on his nose.
She quickly diverted her gaze from him and plopped her bags on the ground. Crookshanks immediately leapt out of her arms and ran to where the Slytherin sat. For some odd reason, her cat had developed a strong liking to Draco.
He finally noticed that she was in the room and ripped off his glasses and leaned back, trying to look casual, but leaned a bit too far and fell straight off the couch. Hermione guffawed and immediately clamped a hand over her mouth.
"I- I meant to do that."
"I can see! It was quite a graceful move." She struggled to keep from laughing at his completely stoic expression while he sat on the floor.
Draco stood up and brushed himself off, pushing a purring Crookshanks aside. He looked as if he was on the verge of saying something, but then cleared his throat and turned away.
If he's not going to apologize, I won't either. She hung up her scarf and robes to get ready for the night. She unpinned her Head Girl's badge, but she stumbled and pierced her finger on the pin.
"Shit!"
She didn't even have time to register what had pricked her finger when Draco suddenly appeared next to her and performed a healing spell. Hermione stood in shock; at how quickly he had reacted and at the fact that he even reacted at all. She looked up and found herself inches from his face. Though it pained her to admit it, he was far too handsome to be her sworn enemy. He smelled familiarly of books and peppermint, a scent that she had gotten used to.
They both snapped out of their trance at the same time and stepped away from each other awkwardly.
"Thanks for that." She stuttered, not meeting his gaze.
"No problem." He straightened his back and tilted his head up, something that Hermione noticed that he did often when he was trying to look confident. She grinned politely and walked past him to the stairs, painfully aware of every step she took and trying hard not to fall on her face.
"Granger." Draco cleared his throat.
"Yes?" Hermione didn't look back at him so to avoid even more awkward eye contact.
"I'm sorry about what I said earlier. It was harsh, and you were simply trying to help." He had obviously rehearsed the words, judged on the careful tone he spoke in.
She tilted her head so he wouldn't see her smile. "Apology accepted."
I deserve a trophy; I made Draco Malfoy apologize to me! She continued her way up the spiraling staircase that led from the Heads' living and dining room to their rooms and bathrooms. As she reached the landing, she snuck a glance back downstairs and saw Malfoy sitting cross-legged on the floor and petting Crookshanks.

Weird cat.