15

"Malfoy?""That's me

"Malfoy?"
"That's me."
Hermione and Draco were sitting across from each other in front of their fireplace. She had an open book in her lap which she wasn't focused enough to read.
"Why have you changed?"
Draco nearly dropped his quill at the question.
"What do you mean? I haven't changed at all; I'm still extraordinarily attractive, funny-"
"Don't play that card on me. You can't deny that you've become a different person than you once were, and I want to know why. You didn't have to take my side against Pansy's, nor did you have to help that student. Those things you would have never done last year, so why? Why the sudden change in heart?" Hermione was leaning over her lounging chair and staring at him.
He had to say that he was quite shocked. Draco hadn't presumed for anyone to see through his demeanor and was staggered at how abrupt her question was.
"I- I suppose I'm seeing things in a new light."
Though he thought that his answer was perfectly normal, Hermione started laughing maniacally.
"What? You wanted an answer, and I delivered! Stop laughing!"
"Never once did I think you'd say those words!" Her eyes were watering from laughing so hard and her joy made him smile a little.
"Miss Granger! How immature of you to chortle so loudly!" He imitated McGonagall, making Hermione laugh even harder. "It is downright rude to make such an outlandish sound!"
"Stop! Stop, I'm going to fall off this chair!" She may have been surprised by his answer, but he was even more surprised to see her laugh so much from his words.
"Like I said; I'm extraordinarily funny."
"Ah!" She took a deep breath to stop her laughter. "Perhaps you're seeing things in a new light, but you're still as egotistical as always!"
"You aren't lying."
They sat in comfortable silence until the lights dimmed and they each went to their rooms. Hermione found herself smiling like a fool when she was alone. He's changed! She convinced herself that he was still evil and not someone to be associated with, but deep down, her heart was leaping with joy.
~
"Malfoy! Wake up!" Draco turned in his sleep, positive that he was dreaming.
"DRACO!"
"What?! What?" He sprung up, wand in hand.
"Oh! I didn't mean to startle you!" Hermione was standing at his doorway, fully dressed in Quidditch robes.
"Then why the fuck did you wake me up in such a hurry?!"
"A Prefect told me that she was told by a fifth year who was told by a friend who saw- deep breath- Professor Slughorn out on the Quidditch field teaching some First Years how to play!"
"So? It's 3 in the morning!"
"As Head Boy and Head Girl, it is our duty to ensure the safety of the students and to supervise all activities." She ducked her head, hiding her grin.
"You're just saying that! You want to go play with them, don't you?"
"Er, no?" She paused, waiting for his response. He glared at her for a couple of seconds.
"Damnit." He sighed and crawled out of his nice, cozy, warm bed, which he was giving up to go outside in the cold with a bunch of children.
Hermione let out a small "Yes!" before stepping out of his room and closing the door. She stood in her spot, blinking for a bit, processing what she had just seen. She had walked into Malfoy's room, intending to wake him up immediately, but instead, the 19 year old girl in her stopped and was fixated on the fact that he slept without a shirt on, displaying his lovely set of abs and toned arms. At least, she only saw his top half; for all she knew, he could have been - Stop that, Hermione! You must not think like that! Don't be a whore, don't be a whore, don't be a whore.
"Well? Are we going or not?" Draco's agitated voice sounded behind her.
"Yes! Let's go!" She walked swiftly down the stairs, making sure he didn't see her red cheeks.
As the pair snuck down to the field, they were joined by multiple students who had heard about the event and were eager to join. Hermione led them through a back door so they wouldn't have to trudge through the snow. As the walked into the Quidditch Field, a series of whoops and hollers greeted them from the air. It seemed as if everyone who was staying behind for Christmas were all joined here. There weren't enough brooms for everyone, so Hermione gave hers to someone else and sat aside.
"You mean to tell me, that you dragged me down here, and you aren't even playing." Draco whined at her, waving his arms around in exasperation.
"Stop bitching! I don't need to play, I'll just observe from here. Plus, there's other reasons I don't want to play."
"Nonsense! Where's your holiday spirit? We're playing, get up." He dragged her to her feet despite her complaints and handed her a broom that looked as old as her grandma.
"There is no way I'm riding that thing! Do you want me to be flying through the air and have this fossil break and send me to my death?" She crossed her arms.
"Fine." He shoved his own broom, the latest and fastest model into her hands and mounted the old one. "I bet I could still beat you to the banners!"
She grumbled and flew up after him, the cold whipping through her hair. Where did he go? She was here, at the banners, and he was nowhere in sight.
"Boo!" He flew up behind her, causing her to scream loudly and almost let go of her broom to smack him.
"You have no idea how dangerous that was! I could have died!"
"Sure, sure. I still beat you."
Professor Slughorn appeared next to them. "Oh, this wasn't supposed to happen! The first years were just so eager and I couldn't resist teaching them!"
"No worries, professor! This could be fun!" Hermione looked around at the students laughing and flying around in the dark.
"As long as the Headmistress doesn't find out."
Teams were made disregarding the houses and Draco blew the whistle to start. The Snitch had an enchantment to make it glow even brighter and someone created fairy lights around the field. Hermione barely noticed when McGonagall hovered near her, wearing majestic magenta robes. She looked regal and flew like she was a third of her age. I guess everyone really is here.