07

"Stupefy!" Hermione shot a spell across the room the moment her feet touched the lower level, and right after Malfoy barreled into her, causing them both to topple over

She looked up and saw an owl flying around the room in a panic with Prefects either doubling over with laughter or trying to catch the owl. She crawled to her feet and snatched the letter from the owl, sending it on its way. It was addressed to Aaron Daniels, a Sixth Year Prefect, whom she handed it to.
"I told you so."

Hermione whipped back around to Malfoy, yelling something about how it was sensible to have her window open for her own letters, so she could avoid incidents like the one that just happened. He was yelling back about how she was always doing everything that wasn't necessary and far too excessively.
"Ahem." The cough from the entrance was ignored.
"Ahem!"
"WHAT?!" Hermione yelled, swiveling around to find herself face to face with McGonagall.
Shit.
"I want all Prefects to go to their rooms this instant. Mister Malfoy and Miss Granger will stay right here." McGonagall waited for the room to clear before she sat Hermione and Draco down.
"I believe that you both have some explaining to do." It worried Draco how calm she was, he knew that whenever his mum spoke in that tone, she was pissed.
"Malfoy was-"
"Granger had-"
They glared at each other, both wanting to speak first.
"First, please explain why there is a large red handprint on Mister Malfoy's cheek." McGonagall spoke firmly, shutting them up.
"She attacked me."
"Excuse me?!"
"He was being extremely obnoxious and offensive; I was defending myself." Hermione couldn't believe that Malfoy was trying to frame her by acting like he was the victim.
"What really happened is that Granger left a window open, and I had asked for the windows to remain shut. She became very passive aggressive and-"
"I did not! That was you!"
"You see? She's still at it!"
"Enough! I am aghast at how childish you two are acting! I assigned this job to you in the hopes that the two of you will be leaders and someone for younger students to look up to. You should both act maturely, especially because of the events of last year! To be constantly arguing shows that I cannot trust you to lead without killing each other."
Minerva looked both children dead in the eye, making sure that they were comprehending her words. "I entrusted the two of you in hopes that it could help mend the bond between Gryffindor and Slytherin. I know that both of you have gone through enough to understand this. I suggest you two go take a walk."
The headmistress gave them each a firm pat on the shoulder and left.
A few seconds passed in silence, and Hermione stood up and went upstairs, leaving Draco thinking by himself.
How does someone turn an enemy into a friend?