06

She ate her crepes in total silence until an owl flew through an open window and shook snow everywhere

"Ack! Go! Shoo, shoo!" It was Cyclops, Draco's huge Eagle Owl. It dropped a package right in front of Hermione before flying off. It said:

To Dearest Draco
                                                                                          From Mummy   

How sweet! His mum calls him "dearest".
Hermione realized that she shouldn't be snooping, so she put the letter on top of the book he was reading yesterday. It reminded her that she should write to her parents to make sure they were ok.
She got dressed and put on her favorite hat, which was a bit of an obnoxious color with a bow, but it was warm and flattened her hair out a bit.

After Classes, Head Dorms

"Granger! What did I say about keeping the windows open?" Hermione heard the door slam as Malfoy arrived from his last class. She turned from where she was sitting in the living room to glare at him.
"I happen to like having the windows open, and you can't just order for something to happen, this is our shared area."
"Well all the cold and snow is getting in! It defeats the purpose of lighting the fireplace!" He was taking off his scarf and made a big show of acting like he was shivering from the cold.
"You're a wuss, you know that? It's only one small window that's barely even cracked! I'm expecting a letter."
Hermione debated telling him about the letter his mum wrote, but he was starting to rant.
"From who; lover boy Krum?"
"That is none of your business! Besides, we haven't spoken in years!" He was so childish, bringing her ex-lover into this.
"I don't know what you have against the mailing system downstairs; this window doesn't need to be open!"
"It's private!" She felt herself flushing with anger.
"THEN OPEN THE WINDOW IN YOUR ROOM!"
"ARE YOU SERIOUSLY YELLING ABOUT A DAMN WINDOW?"
Draco slammed the window closed, the sudden movement making Hermione jump. She leapt to her feet and marched right up to him, pointing her finger at his chest.
"You are a selfish brat who just cannot live without getting his way. What are you going to do when your daddy and mummy aren't there to support you, huh? Cry about the open windows?"
He got into her face and spat menacingly, "You would know, your family doesn't even remember you."
She slapped the smug expression off his face just as a scream was heard downstairs, followed by thudding noises and more screams.
They both grabbed their wands and ran, horrified of might have happened and how they had to keep the younger students safe.