Chapter 44

It was the day of Manahil's wedding and things seemed to going well until Sami's stress levels reached a tipping point.

Sami was the one trying to keep everything in order and ensure all was running smoothly. Radia was helping from the women's side but all the other responsibilities fell on Sami. He had an uncle trying to help but it didn't help the little panic Sami kept feeling when something felt like it might go wrong.

Then there was the image of his mother in the morning which he couldn't shake off. She had brought in the last of her belongings to his and Radia's house. She was a bundle of emotions. Having spent the last thirty five years with her daughter under the same roof, it was a difficult transition for her. Why couldn't Manahil take their mother with her? Not that Sami didn't want her to live with them, but he didn't want to see her upset.

But it all got to his head when he finally managed to call Radia away from the women's side to see him. There was a deserted staircase on the right where the entrance to the hall was. Sami wasn't sure what it led to but he didn't have any intentions of going up.

"Is everything okay?" Radia asked, opening the heavy door and entering the small space between the door and the stairs. Though Sami found Radia beautiful in her natural state, he couldn't help but feel in awe when she was dressed up. She had gotten ready with Manahil so this was the first time Sami was seeing her dressed up in the day.

"You look stunning, masha'Allah."

"Thank you. You look quite dashing yourself, masha'Allah," Radia replied, pulling at Sami's collar.

"I know it's supposed to be a happy day but I can't wait until the day's over. I wanna go home, kick back and relax."

Radia opened her mouth to say something when the door opened. Much to Sami's surprise, it was his father.

"I've been meaning to speak to you two," he said and Sami stiffened. He tried to pull Radia behind him but she stood in front of him with her arms crossed, as if protecting him.

"What's wrong?" Sami asked, putting a hand on Radia's shoulder and moving to stand beside her.

"I finally got to meet Faisal and he decided to give me advice on being a father," he said and Sami sighed. Why did Faisal have to speak up? Why did Manahil have to tell him everything? And why was Sami the one who was going to pay the price? "Let's forget that for a moment and tell me one thing. Did she put you up to this?" Sami's father pointed at Radia. "It's my daughter's wedding and I don't get consulted for my permission. I'm simply told I have to be here as her wali. I don't get a say in anything, as if I have no value."

"What value have you given your family that they should give you value?" Radia asked. Sami squeezed her shoulder, wishing she wouldn't speak.

"Dad, I didn't have a say in it either. It was Manahil's decision."

"You should have told me as soon as you found out!"

"He did," Radia defended. "He told you when he found out. You're being unreasonable."

"I'm not talking to you. And you," he said, pointing to Sami. "Keep your wife under control. She's so disrespectful."

"I'm not disrespectful, I'm just stating the truth. Sami's not to blame so why are you having a go at him?"

"Radia, stay quiet," Sami warned.

"Why should I? You know he's being unfair!"

"Shut up!" Sami said through gritted teeth and Radia looked embarrassed and hurt.