12| Back to Cecile.

W I L D E

Daisy was often upset at the way girls treated her. She hated it when they glanced down at her, spoke badly of her and she always seemed to believe she deserved it. I found myself glancing at her, walking past her locker, just to make sure no one was doing anything less than kind to her. I ended things with her, I shouldn't be hanging on to her. I shouldn't be walking back to her, watching her like a shadow.

I just didn't want to.

I wanted to be a part of her life. I wanted to know what she was thinking every second of every day. I often found myself opening a new message to her. I'd deleted her number from my phones memory but not from my mind. I'd key in her number manually, typing in a message before I erased it closing my phone.

It was easier when she wasn't around.

"Hey Wilde," I shut the phone quickly, glancing up to see Cecile. 

I noticed she was alone, one glance to my right confirmed her friends were watching our exchange, then pretending I didn't see them, I turned back to Cecile, sending her one of my best smiles. Leaning back on my locker, shoving what Daisy would say about this, I said, "Do you pretty girls like you visit guys like me often?"

"Not often enough," She said, laughing. I laughed along too wishing she was Daisy who would say something sarcastic or shove me. Funny, I might be turned on by acts of aggression.

There was always a familiarity with Cecile, I could always predict her. I knew what she was going to ask me before she even asked. I knew the signs, her girlfriends waiting on the end, normally to the right. The way she stood, close but with a safe distance between, the way she smiled and laughed, throwing her head back almost as though it was a show for her friends.

"I was wondering," She said, swaying slightly. I could smell her flowery perfume from where I stood. Another sign. "If you wanted to go together to Amber's birthday party?"

I knew it.

I didn't know how to push Daisy away from my mind, so I smiled at Cecile, knowing that the night would be nothing but pleasant and I said, "Yes."

She grinned at me, reminding me of the first time she asked me out. "I'll see you at 7," Cecile said. Then she turned walking back to her friends.

Patterns.

I smiled a little watching her go, but when she's gone from my sight I turned on my phone looking at the unsent text message I was going to erase.

I miss you. I wish I didn't sleep with you that first time so I could have done things the right way rather than let us end up like this.

I deleted the message. Tucking my phone in my pocket as I left for football practice.