Chapter 1

(Paislee Shea Quinn)

I'm Paislee Shea Quinn and I'm twenty-two years old, or at least I think I am.  You see I've had so many identities and birthdates that I can't keep them straight any more.  Let me explain.

I witnessed the murder of someone belonging to the Cosa Nostra, the Italian Mafia and the FBI wanted to put me in Witsec, Witness Protection, and in exchange for my testimony, I would get a new life, name, city and state, except they found me and what they did to me was not pretty.  Kidnapped, I did the unthinkable, I fell in love with my captor.

Here's my story...

2014-Dallas, TX Brewsky's Pub

"Nancy, I'm taking the garbage out and then I'll be ready to leave" I yelled inside at my boss, Nancy Baker, the owner and manager of the pub.

"Okay Daren" she called back.  (I could remember that much, my real name was Daren Capelli but I don't remember anything else).

I stepped outside, lifted the lid to the foul smelling garbage container and threw in the heavy bag.  God it was amazing the amount of trash that one small, little hole-in-the-wall pub could generate.

Just as I was about ready to go back in, I heard loud voices, swearing and mostly in Italian and it was not a friendly conversation, then they switched to English.

"You're a pussy little cagna" one heavily accented voice sneered.  "Por favore, I didn't mean for it to happen" a whimpering voice replied.

"Then I guess I didn't mean for this to happen" another richly accented voice said, deeper, darker and more scary than the first and that's when I heard the gunshot.

The shooter, had made the mistake of stepping out under the streetlight, giving me a perfect view of his handsomely cold face.  No life in his eyes, no emotions, just dead, empty orbs.

I slowly backed up and made it safely back into the pub, closed the door and locked it.  Hurriedly I ran to grab my purse and tell Nancy we needed to get the hell out of dodge and like yesterday.

"What the hell happened Daren?  You're pale as a corpse" her southern drawl called out.  I just stared at her for moment, then said "I think I just saw someone get murdered."

A whirlwind happened after that. Nancy f*cking called the police, I gave a statement, because I'm so civically minded and wanted to be a good citizen and all, then I gave an artist my best recollection of the handsome stranger, turned cold blooded killer.

I was to find out in the next couple of weeks, that the man I was preparing to testify against, was the FBI's Most Wanted and he was on Interpol's Most Wanted list as well.

Who, you ask?  Stefano "Baby Face" Cecotti.  Notorious mafioso leader and all around bad guy and there I was, getting set to testify in open court regarding someone who wouldn't hesitate to put me in concrete shoes and 'disappear' me.  But I wasn't scared, at least not then anyway.

I started getting calls on my cell and there would be heavy breathing or nothing at all and I would hang up.  I always felt like I was being watched and I would find little notes on my car, at home and at work, but still I was determined to move forward with testifying.

Then one night, I was going from my car, into my apartment and I felt a hand come around my neck and place a cloth over my face and blackness took over within seconds.