Chapter 3

(Continuation of chapter 2)

Stefano just stared at me, like I'd grown two heads, his silence speaking volumes and it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Feeling embarrassed beyond anything I'd ever experienced, I tried to get up and escape to the bathroom, but his massive body and powerful arms kept me prisoner underneath him.

"Daren, look at me" he said softly and he never called me by my name. Slowly I turned to face him, silent tears falling down my cheeks. "Tesoro, you shouldn't love me" he said, serious as a heart attack. "I can't help what my heart wants, Stefano and I want you" I told him, wishing a hole would open up and swallow me.

"Daren, I can't give you what you want or need" he started. "Please let me up, Stefano." I cried. "I'm not done" he said roughly, then his eyes softened up as he continued.

"I do, however, want and need your love. I don't have much to give you in that respect, but whatever remains of my heart is yours for as long as you want it" I knew right then and there he was telling me the truth.

"I'll take it, Stefano and I will keep it with me forever, no matter where we end up, I'll never love another like I love you" I told him.

He flashed a sad smile and I didn't even want to think about what it meant, so I pretended that this was forever, even though I knew in this business there was no such thing.

"Now" I whispered while straddling him. "Please, let me make love to you. Just this once." He kissed me roughly, then breathed "Okay." I knew then that something was terribly wrong.

While Stefano was in the shower, I went in search of his Under Boss, Joey and luckily he was by himself, so I quietly knocked on the study door.

He looked up from what he was doing and flashed a genuine smile. "Daren. What can I do for you?" He asked. "Joey, I need to ask you something and please, I need you to tell me the truth, don't spare me anything" I had his attention now.

"Okay" he said. I took a deep breath and inhaled. "Is something going on tonight? I don't want to know the details, it's just that Stefano is acting strangely and to be honest, I'm scared."

He looked at me, sympathy in his eyes as he told me the truth. "Yes Daren, something is happening tonight. It's serious and it means a lot of people won't be coming home tonight, but if it goes as planned, our famiglia will be stronger."

I felt like I was going to throw up and there was no way I could stop the tears at this point because I knew the kind of leader that Stefano was, he would put himself out there, front and center to lead the charge.

"Oh God Joey!" I sobbed. He put a brotherly arm around me and said "Go now and be with him until it's time for us to leave. He will have some instructions for you as well."

I nodded and told him to be careful, he smiled as I turned and left the room, heading back to mine and Stefano's and I arrived in time to see Stefano stepping from the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist.

I made my way over to him, my eyes never leaving his as I put my arms around his waist, inhaling his clean fragrance which consisted of his body wash and expensive cologne.

My body was shaking as his hand cupped the side of my face, forcing me to look up at him, but I had no idea it was going to be that difficult.

"Daren, tigrotta" he said. "Come on baby, show me those beautiful eyes." I finally looked up at him, his thumb brushing the tears under my eyes. "Stefano, the night I met you, I was scared. But I have never known fear like I am feeling right now" I was being totally honest with him.