Wedding bells or alarms?

CHAPTER 16

Adeline's POV

My heart is beating at a rapid pace in my chest. I can't catch my breath and my palms are quite sweaty. It feels like I'm going on my first date but this isn't the case.

I could see Cait sitting on the bench, her back to me and so I stood across the street for a while just scanning my eyes over her back. Her light brown hair loosely curled and covering a bit of her jacket. The sun hitting her at the right spot like she's a pop star ready to take the stage. I know I'm not in love with her but I do care for her.

This isn't going to be easy but it has to happen. I look both ways before crossing the road and walking up to the bench. "Hi Cait." She turned to face me and gave me a soft smile. She patted the spot beside her and I sat down. "I'm glad you came."

I didn't realize how tense the air felt until neither of us spoke. "Yeah me too." I quickly muttered out hoping the awkwardness would leave. It didn't. "Look I'm sorry for putting you under pressure earlier. I just thought that we were ready for marriage. We've been through so much together why leave each other now?" She reached for my pant but I stuffed it in my pocket before she could.

"Because our relationship is toxic. You don't trust me. You cheated on me with your best friend and not to mention all the times you stood me up. I don't want to be in an unhealthy situation. You stress me out. I loved you." I kept my eyes down as I spoke, I didn't want to look at her.

In the corner of my eye I saw her stood up. "Is this it then? Are we over?" Her voice cracked. She's crying. A few tears fell from my eyes as I mustered up the courage to croak out a yes. Cait muffled her crying and my heart broke. "Okay. I understand. I'm sorry." And with that she walked away.

I kept my eyes locked on my feet so I have no idea if she looked back at me. I hope she didn't. I gripped the cold bench as a sob shock my body. I had no idea how hard that was going to be but it was done. No more Cait. I am relieved she was an issue for me but I will miss her. She was my first girlfriend, my first kiss, my first time and my first love. She may not be the best person or the perfect girlfriend but she still loved me for me and she did make me happy a long time ago. Letting go isn't going to be easy but I can do it because I have realized what's best for me and Cait isn't.

I took a deep breath and sighed deeply as I wiped my eyes. "Hey stranger." I jumped in my own skin and turned around. A familiar pair of green eyes starred at me. "Xian!" I exclaimed and got up to give him a hug. He wrapped his arms around me and I buried my head in his chest. "It's been a while. You okay? Why are you crying?" I giggled softly as I cried some more. "I'm just happy to see you. I'm so sorry for not talking to you since the party so much has happened." We pulled away and I gasped. "You cut your hair?" He shrugged sheepishly and nodded. "Yeah needed a change. We should go somewhere more private to talk. My place?" I eagerly nodded and he took my hand in his and interlaced our fingers.

We walked together hand in hand and in silence back to his house. The faint smell of tea and.. I sniffed the air a bit harder and gasped again. "You had someone over last night!" I shouted pointing at him. "How can you tell?" I snorted in response and sat down on the couch. "You don't think I've had sex before and woke up in the same bed the next morning? It's so strong." I leaned back and propped my feet up on the coffee table. "Then I recommend you don't sit on my couch." I screeched and shot up like a bullet. "Ew! Grossssss." I shuddered in pure disgust and removed my shirt from my body.

"Adeline put your shirt back on." Xian exclaimed as he walked over to me and tossed a random blanket over my head. I pouted under the blanket and turned my head in the direction that I think Xian is. "Not until you disinfect my shirt and this couch."

He laughed in response and suddenly arms wrapped around my waist and he threw me over his shoulder like you would do with a big bag of potatoes. "Put me down." I whined and wiggled in his arms as he carried me up the stairs. "Mm. No."

He threw me down on his bed and straddled my waist. The blanket was then removed from my face so now I can see. Xian was incredible close to me and I creased my eyebrows together in confusion. He pecked my nose and then rolled off of me. "So angel tell me everything that happened."

For about half an hour I told him everything that went down with me and Ariana and Cait and I felt so relieved.

"Wow um that's a lot." He scooted closer to me and pulled me into his chest. I accepted his cuddles and closed my eyes. "Just rest. Tomorrow's a new day." I hummed in response and slowly fell asleep, forgetting about Cait and texting Ariana.

//AN//
I don't really know if I like the ending of this chapter but it has to end like this so I can continue with the next one. I hope you're all enjoying it and don't worry I didn't forget about Xian. Cait is finally out of the picture I think I'm not sure but hey if you want me to bring her back let me know! I feel like this chapter had a lot of raw emotion I have been in a breakup situation before it sucks. Still not sure how I'm going to do the next chapter but I'll figure it out. Bye loves xoxo Addy