Chapter 3: How did we get here, and where do we go now?

I sit on my bed in my bedroom, playing on Instagram. I'm trying to get distracted by the lights on my android, but every picture makes me think of either Tristin or Dax.

I lock my phone and violently shove it off of my lap onto the hot pink bedspread covering my  matress. That's when it rings. I sigh and grab it, expecting it to be either my mom or Tristin trying to get me to go out with him. I mean really. Does he have any class at all?

But the text isn't from Tristin. It's from Dax. 

<3 Dax: Good morning, beautiful. How was your night?

Me: Fine. I didnt sleep well.

Dax: Why not?

Me: Idk. I guess just still pumped about last night.

I smile, but then wonder what to do. Or say to Dax.

Dax: Yeah. ikr. I can't believe I finally told you. And the fact that you actualy liked me back was totally awesome in itself.

Me: Speaking of that, where do we go from here? I mean, does this mean we are officially boyfriend  and girlfriend, or what?

Dax: Only if you answer this question.

Me: OK.

Dax: Laney, will you go out with me?

Me: Yes.

Dax: :-) well, ok then. its official now. I gtg, sorry. family crap 2day. =-< 

Me: OK. ttyl, babe.

I realize  what these texts mean. I have a boyfriend. And it's Dax. Out of all of the people...

Dax and I go way back. Back to first grade, actually. 

See, so on the first day of first grade, I had just moved to Huntsville, Texas, and I knew absolutely no one at my new school. I ended up sitting right next to Dax in Mrs. Jaxston's class, and at first, we hated each other. But with,the boys have cooties/ girls are gross phase when I was 5. But none of the girl in my class liked me. Maybe it was because I never wore skirts, or bows in my hair. Maybe it was because I mostly wore jeans or shorts or overalls, and t-shirts. I guess I'll never know. But since I was such a tom-boy, I was imediately rejected by the girly group at my school( Thank, God.), and was excepted into the boys group. 

Then, in fourth grade, I kind of started having a crush on Dax, but didn't tell him. I totally flirted, though. As a fourth grader I wasn't a good flirt. At all. anyway, me and Dax weren't always in the same class, but we stayed in touch. Probably because he used to live two houses down from me. Our moms scheduledd "play-dates" and trips to the park and stuff like that. 

Until I turned twelve.  That's when Dax moved away. He stayed intown, but he moved to a different neighborhood. and we lost touch. That was the summer I lost a lot of baby fat, got skinnier, and my hair got lighter. A few days after my fifteenth birthday, I coincidentlaly saw Dax in the mall when I was shopping for new school clothes. I hadn't worn 

overalls in four years, but I was still against most skirts. I mostly stuck to jeans, skinny jeans, and cute shirts. Maybe a jeanskirt with leggings here and there. I was walking through the mall when he bumped into me. I stumbled backwards, but rebalanced myself quickly. But the milkshake in my hand is upside down on the ground. "Oh my God I am so sorr-" Then he looks at me and he must recognize me, because his jaw drops. "Laney?!" He says. Too loudly. 

I smile and nod, as he encases me in a hugs. "Hey, Dax." I say and awkwardly pat his back.

""It's been so long.Do you wanna hang out? The guys and I were actually heading to TGI Friday's. Do ya'll wanna come?" He asks, and I actually think of excepting his offfer.

"Actually, I'm about to have to leave. Maybe some other time? Maybe after school starts?" I smile at him reassuring him that it's a promise. 

"Oh. Can I at least buy you another milkshake?" When I smile sharply, and start shaking my head, he interupts me before I can reject him outloud. "Come on. It' s the least I can do."

I think it over and see that there can't be any harm. "Ok, fine."

We walked over to the food court, and get in line. We make little conversation, and when we get up to the counter. " What kind?"

"Chocolate Chip, please." He hands it to me, pays the cashier, and we start to walk away.  I had planned on going straight from there home, but Shelby, Kaity, and Mikala are talking to Dax's group of friends.

We all sit down at a long table in the eating area. I slowly "catch-up" with Dax.  Mostly, it's just him asking me yes or no questions, and me either shaking or nodding my head. I suck up the thick milkshake, and I'm starled when my phone starts to play my ringtone out of my pocket. "Hello?"

"Laney? I need you to come home, like, now." It's my moms worried voice.

"Why, mom?" I ask. "What's wrong?"

"Your dad's here." I feel my mouth drop open. 

"Okay. I'll be there." I apologize to Dax and get up and go to Shelby. "I need a ride home. NOW."

"Why? What's wrong?" Shelby says. 

"I'll tell you on the way home, okay?" 

We apologize and tell them we have to go. "See you at school, right, Laney?"

I nod to him, adn wave as I turn around. 

Seeing my dad was a big deal back then. My dad was living two states away, and I only saw him like two or three times a year. That, plus big holidays, like Christmas and New Years. That turned out to be the day my dad told my mom and I that he had cancer. Lung cancer. It was caused from his heavy smoking as a teen, and, even though he quit last year, he still had cancer. He died four weeks later. It was very unexpected because we thought he'd have longer. But he didn't. And that's the fact.

So yeah. Now Dax and I are here. The big question:

How the hell did we get here?