Chapter 10: Arguments, 'I Love You' s, and Questions

When I wake up, I'm laying on Dax's lap and he is playing with my hair. 

"Hey," He says smiling down at me.

I give him a sleepy smile. I dig into my pocket for my phone as I sit up and yawn. It's 3:00 in the afternoon. "Dax!" I say, loudly, as I playfully hit him. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Because," he says. "You're so peaceful when you sleep... and you can't talk." He sticks his tongue out at me, aand I slap his shoulder.

We both burst out into laughter. I kiss him on the cheek and mess up his hair. "Thanks," he says.

"For what?" I snort.

"For... dealing with me... and all my drama." 

And that's when a question about this morning comes to mind. "Does Tristin know I'm your mate?"

Dax sighs at me. "Yeah, he does. And the only reason he wants you--no offence-- is because he knows I... need you."

"He pisses me off so much. Why can't he just keep  his nose in his own buisness?"

"Because he hates me. He's trying to get me back."

"Back for what Dax?" I ask, concerened.

"He's trying to get my pack back, for killing his great-great-grandfather in the war. He was the alpha back then. Tristin figures that getting the future-alpha's mate is the perfect revenge. He just wants to... you know... hit it then quit it. Because, technically, you havevn't accepted that you're my mate until I have... marked you," he explains, then before I can eve haven to ask the question, he answers it. "Marking you is sleeping with you." He finishes it quickly, as if it's awkward.

"Oh..." I say, not sure what else to do. "Wait how do you know that that's why he's after me?"

He looks at me, confused. "Oh," he says. "All werewolves can talk to each other through their minds."

"Like, anyone in the world can talk to you like right now?" I ask, expecting his answer to be yes.

"No," He says through chuckles. "Like, you have to know them fairly well, and they have live somewhere pretty near you."

"Oh," I say, now realizing how stupid that question must have had sounded.

"Hey, are you hungry?" He asks me.

"Yeah, a little," I answer.

"Come on." He gets up, grabbing my hand and pulling me with him. We walk into the kitchen, and he looks through the cabinets. "There's like nothing to eat."

"Maybe I can call Missie to stop on her way home. She gets home around four, usually." I offer.

"Sure."

Missie is my older sister. She's eighteen, and she just started college at the local state university. She comes home to do laundry and visit with my mom and me, almost every weekend.

I pull out my phone, type in her number, and hit call. After about four rings, she answers. "Hello?"

"Hey," I say. "What's up?"

"I'm in the car on the wway home now," she answers "What about you, Laney?"

"Oh, I'm at Dax's house. And will please, please stop somewhere and pick us up some food on your way home?"

"Well, Laney," She starts.

"Please, please, please?" I interrupt. "We're, like starving."

I hear her sigh, then she says "Fine. What do y'all want."