Chapter 24: Romance-- The Werewolf's Way

I prance into the kitchen, and steal my mom's cup of coffee. "Is it okay if Dax takes me to school?" I ask.

She nods, lazily. "Of course."

"And can I go over there after school and do homework with him?" As soon as I ask, I know that she's doubting it. "His mom is gonna be there."

She rolls her eyes at my addition. "I wasn't going to say no. He's the reason my baby's alive." She kisses my forehead then touches my cheek. "Yes, go. Be young and have fun!"

"Thanks," I say then head back to my room to finish getting ready for school. 

Eventually, I just give up on actually finding something cute to wear, and throw on some black yoga pants and a school t-shirt. I toss my hair up in a very messy bun, and just put on mascara. I slip on my Sperries amd go to the kitchen to finish off my coffee. But as soon as I step foot in the room I get a text from Dax saying that he's here to pick me up. "KK," I text back with a winky face. I pour the rest of my drink in a to-go cup, grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder, and head out to Dax's truck.

I climb in and give him a kiss, but don't let it last long, only a few seconds. Then take a drink of my coffee. I stare at my phone and wait for the vehicle to start moving. When it doesn't I look up at Dax, wondering what's wrong. I find him staring at me, and I automatically think there's something on my face, so I duck my head back down, looking at my phone again. Then, barely get out the question. "What?"

His finger liftts my head back up by my chin, forcing me to look him in the eyes. I search them, trying to figure out what's going through his mind, though he doesn't have to try very hard to find what I'm thinking. "Dax, what?" When he still doesn't answer, I try to give up and look away from him, but his hand won't let me. 

Finally, after what feels like forever, he speaks. "It's nothing," He says, and after my doubtful look, he correctd himself. "Fine, it's just that you're so beautiful." His face reddens, and he drops his face, letting mine go. But my eyes don't leave his face.

I moove into the middle seat, and take him in my arms. "Why are you so embarrassed about that?" I ask, his eyes back at mine.

"I-I don't know." He answers.

"You shouldn't be."

"I know it."

I lay my head on his shoulder, and he lays his chin in my hair. "I love you, Dax." I say into his neck.

"I know," He tells me. "I love you, too."

We stay like this for a while, just sitting here in his truck. Him and me.

But eventually we come back to reality, or at least I do. We both know that DAx could've stayed like that for forever, I guess I'd be fine with it, too. But I sit up, leaving my hand in his. "We've got to get to school," I tell him.

He nods, and still says nothing. He turns the truck back on, and still with our intertwined, he drives me to school. And I can't stop smiling, the whole way there.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  <3  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

"Bye," I wave over my shoulder at Dax as he walks to first period. I finish getting the books out of my locker and shove them along with a pencil into my backpack. Before I can close it myself, Shelby comes up beside me and slams my locker closed for me. "Thanks." I say, with sarcastic enthusiasm.

"So... anything new with my two favorite lovebirds?" She asks, bouncing her eyebrows at me, implying things.

"No!" I shrug. "Not really, at least," I answer. I fix my bag on my shoulder, and link arms with her as we walk to math.