Chapter 23: Making up and Making Sense

I sit silently, waiting for Shelby to start talking to me. "You don't have to be so proper, and yyou can relax a little." As soon as she says that, I can feel my back sink further into the blood red couch, and I cross my legs.

"Shelby, I'm so sorry. I should've never overreacted like I did." She sits next to me, and places  hand on my shoulder.

She brushes a stray hair away from my face, as she says, "No. I should've told you I was a werewolf before Dax told you he was one, but the rules... I just couldn't risk it. Because I'm sure he told you the rules," She pauses, and when I nod, she finishes. "I'm just.. sorry. I'm so sorry, Laney." A feww tears fall from the corners of her eyes, but I wipe them away before they reach the bottom of her cheek. Then I pull her into a hug.

She places her hands on my shoulders, and pulls me back. "Oh, and I'm sorry for not coming to see you in the hospital. I didn't think you'd want to see me, because you were so mad when you left. But if I hadn't told you wouldn't have gotten hurt."

I give her a slight smile. "No, you were right to tell me. And it wasn't your fault," I say. I take a deep breath and accept, for the first time, that either of my closest best friends are werewolves.

"Now," I say. "I hear that every wolf has a special 'gift', so what's yours?"

She rolls her eyes at me, but answers anyway. "Mine's nothing special. Just hearing. I've go tbetter hearing then most wolves. It doesn't really come in handy very often."

"Do I know anyone else from your pack?" I ask, now wondering who else might be a fantasy creature.

"Well, you already know Tristin is, and you know Destiny, she is too. There's not many high schoolers that are in our pack. They mostly go to the private school, Johnson Prep, so that's pretty much it."

I don't know Destiny that well, just enough to know that that makes a lot of sense. "Well, that wasn't as revealing as I had hoped, but..." I'm about to tell her that I need to get home, when I think of something that, as her best friend, I have to know. "I don't think you do, yet, but you wouldn't have to have a mate yet, right? You'd have told me?"

She smiles at me, and looks at her hands. "N-No. Not yet,but...' She stutters. "I will. I know I will. Eventually."

I pull her into my arms and I smile into her shoulder. "And when you do," I say, pulling her back, and looking in her eyes. "I'll be the first other person to know. SO that we can Double!"

She gives me a smile, but I can't help but notice something in her face, like she's not telling me something. But I'm not going to push it right now. I don't think either of us have enough energy for it, and I've got to get back home before my mom finishes dinner, and make Dax stay with me. God, how I love being in control of him.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  <3  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I follow Dax out the front door, and close the door behind me. He takes my hand in his and brings it to his mouth, kissing my knuckles. Making me smile and blush at the same time. "Thanks for staying for dinner," I say, through my grin.

He returns my smile, and says "Of course, Lane." He pulls me into a hug. "Anything you need, ever. You know that," He whispers against my neck, and I nod.

His lips quickly find mine, and my hands lock behind his neck, his on my hips. We quickly loose ourselves in the kiss. My knees lock and I go onto my tippy-toes. I feel him smile against my lips. I pull back, just barely, just enough to get the words out. "What's so funny?"

His toothy smile, does nothing but make me wonder what's going on in that mind of his. It could truly be anything. "N-" I can tell he's about to lie, say 'nothing', but we both know I'm not going to let it go that easy so he rethinks his answer. "What's going through that brain of yours... It's like... I don't know. This is gonna sound stupid, but.. it's like I can feel me kissing you, but from your side of it."

One of his hands runs through his tousled brown hair, pushing out of his eyes as he looks at me, wondering if I understood. "Then you should know better than to have pulled out of it." I say, and ppull him back. Our smiles craxh onto each other's and we soon get lost again.

We don't kiss long, because I know my mom's watchnig us through the window by the kitchen. He gives me one quick peck on the cheek and he turns to walk down the path and then down the street.

He tosses one last glance over his shoulder before he dissolves into the black night.

I walk back into the house and shut the door slowly behind me. I drag myself back into the kitchen and tell my mom goodnight. She pauses her dishwashing, and dreis her hands, then walks over to me. She pulls me into a hug, then kisses my forehead. Right next to the scar that will always be my reminder of how much I should and will always hate Tristin. "Love you." She says, then she lets me go and walks back to the sink, continuing her chores.

"You too." I answer.

I walk back down the hall, climb into my bed, and burrying myself in the comforter. I take a deep breath in, letting the smell of Daxe's cologne fill my nose from where we'd been laying just an hour ago. I curl my knees up to my chest and let sleep take me, knowing I'll dream of my amazing boyfriend.